Need 87 442 front bumper cover decal and stripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Hey all,

So Im getting the front bumper cover and header panel repainted due to rock chips and ignorant idiots.

I only need the 442 decal and the bumper cover stripe.

Anyone know where I can get them? I don't want to buy a whole package just for those 2 items.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2010
Niagara Falls
Hey all,

So Im getting the front bumper cover and header panel repainted due to rock chips and ignorant idiots.

I only need the 442 decal and the bumper cover stripe.

Anyone know where I can get them? I don't want to buy a whole package just for those 2 items.

Thoughts?
Two best places are: Phoenix Graphix and Stencils and Stripes

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hi Hunter, it’s been a while. I hope you’re doing well

The front bumper stripes you can make yourself with good quality 3M tape. I had my own 442 decals made and may have an extra I would part with. I don’t remember if 1986 is the same as an 87? P.M me if interested

*EDIT* be careful when looking for 442 decals. There are many with the wrong graphics ( rounded 2 as an example). Study them carefully

Reactions: 1 user

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Thanks. Yes, been a while. Still kicking lol

I looked at S&S and Phoenix and they just have the kits. I don't want to spend 190 bucks for 2 pieces. I guess I will send an email to see if they will just sell the 2 pieces I need but doubting it.

I will have to check out the different types of 442 decals. Never paid all that much attention. I believe the 85-87 were all the same.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
85-87 442 trunk decals are all the same. The same decal is used on the front of the 85-86 442 as well.

The 87 decal for the front was originally 2 clear mylar decals that had 442 and Oldsmobile in gold. The GM replacements, p/n 25530186 had individual lettering with the 442 and Oldsmobile together made out of cut vinyl like the rest of the number decals. Hint: the 87 442 front bumper decal has the same exact size of 442 numbers as the 85-87 trunk decal. This is why if you buy a decal set and get 2 87 442 front bumper decals, you can just use the 442 part of the decal for the trunk.

Unfortunately for 87 442s, the original front bumper mylar decals don't always stick around the edges and start to peel. Mine did so I had to replace it with the GM replacement. When I did it, I wasn't thinking and used the top edge of the premask to align the decal. Should have done the right thing and move the 442 part up and center the "Oldsmobile" in the bumper like original. I may still do that.

Here's pics of the factory decal placement:

87442 original decal placement.JPG

87442 closeup front bumper decal.jpg

And here's where I fugged up and wasn't thinking. All the 442 number decals other than this one actually tell you the right placement or are cut to line up with the stripe and/or emblem/door curve depending on the side. Anyway, here's the GM replacement decal:

87442 front bumper GM replacement decal installed.JPG

I'm going to have to go back and fix this one of these days.

And here's the complete set of 87 442 number decals:

442decals0401.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Jmac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2015
McKees Rocks Pa.
I'm trying to find the factory stripes for a 1985 Olds 442 gold I bought the stripe package from phoenix graphics and they are not lining up help if you can thanks

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I'm trying to find the factory stripes for a 1985 Olds 442 gold I bought the stripe package from phoenix graphics and they are not lining up help if you can thanks
good luck extremely rare, they're color backed you know so you'd have to specify color, I have a kit for a burgundy metallic car but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor