Need a daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Not a project but this seemed like the best spot to post it. So I'm looking for a new daily and not sure what I want. I need a car the is front wheel or all wheel drive so I can drive in the winter. Not a V8 cause I need good gas mileage and an American car but also not to old. My first thought was something like a Cobalt SS but I can't find many stock ones that don't have alot of miles on them. I could go buy a couple year old chevy cruise or something like that but the value of that is just going to go down where something like the Cobalt SS may hold some value for when I'm ready for something new. Anyone have any good ideas of what I should look at buying. I want something not really old and my budget is 10k. What car should I get?

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
I had an 09 cobalt SS. They are great cars, but at this point i would not want to buy one. Either they are beat to death or really clean ones they want too much money for. Did alright in the snow but anytime it was under 40 deg. or wet they had no traction until 4th gear in full boost. Which may not sound bad but they spool quick and it wouldnt take much to be spinning at 40-60 mph trying to get on or off the highway.

My buddy picked up a GMC terrain with a 4 cylinder and he really enjoys it. Its quiet and comfortable, gets decent mileage and is practical.

Nov 4, 2012
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but God, I love my hand-me-down Camry.

2004 Camry LE 4 cyl. Dad bought new in 2004, gave to my older sister for college in 2010, and she gave it to me in 2014 at 165,000 miles.

It is the most vanilla car in the world, but it is Lexus quiet, comfortable, low maintenance, and gets 30 mpg. It's currently at 190,000 miles and still ticking along just fine. She burns a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so which is a common problem on the 2AZ-FE engine in it, but she doesn't smoke or anything. I just keep it topped up with oil. Another great thing about the Camry is I don't really worry about nicks and dents and scratches. The car was well worn in when I got it, and I don't freak out when I get a door ding on it.
She's still fairly rust free and looks fine from 10 feet, and I try to keep her appearance up, but I don't obsess over it like I do my other cars. I can get 5 adults in it pretty comfortably and it's got a huge trunk. The value of the car hasn't really changed much in the past 4 or 5 years. It was worth around $4000 several years ago and it is probably worth close to the same now.

I have had to do very little work to the car, but at almost 200k miles, some work is to be expected. I just put 4 new quick struts in it, and bought 4 new tires. I also did the front inner tie rod ends and sway bar bushings and end links. I did them all myself and in my own garage with basic hand tools and had no problems. Very easy diy. In my 25,000 miles of ownership, I also replaced the transmission fluid, done brakes (front discs, rear drums) once or twice, replaced the valve cover gasket, and had an alignment. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

I honestly never knew I could love such a boring car.

IMG_20170718_132629736.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is there such a thing as an "American" car anymore?

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Is there such a thing as an "American" car anymore?

When there are Chevys made in Korea and Toyotas made in Kentucky, it's hard to really say.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yup. My parents replaced their old Accord last year. It was a great car and treated them well for almost 300k but my dad wanted to buy "an American" car. After doing some research they ended up with a new Camry. Figured it was just as domestic as a Korean Chevy, Canadian Ford, or Mexican Dodge. In the end, Toyota just plain builds good cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Yup. My parents replaced their old Accord last year. It was a great car and treated them well for almost 300k but my dad wanted to buy "an American" car. After doing some research they ended up with a new Camry. Figured it was just as domestic as a Korean Chevy, Canadian Ford, or Mexican Dodge. In the end, Toyota just plain builds good cars.

This is my general opinion on "American cars". My "old reliable" Camry was built in Georgetown, Kentucky as are most, Accords are built in Ohio, Altimas are built in Tennessee and Mississippi, Subarus are made in Indiana. They aren't particularly exciting cars, but without them, half of America wouldn't have a ride to work in the morning.

Personally, I'll take a foreign car built in America over an American car built elsewhere.

• Agree

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but God, I love my hand-me-down Camry.

2004 Camry LE 4 cyl. Dad bought new in 2004, gave to my older sister for college in 2010, and she gave it to me in 2014 at 165,000 miles.

It is the most vanilla car in the world, but it is Lexus quiet, comfortable, low maintenance, and gets 30 mpg. It's currently at 190,000 miles and still ticking along just fine. She burns a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so which is a common problem on the 2AZ-FE engine in it, but she doesn't smoke or anything. I just keep it topped up with oil. Another great thing about the Camry is I don't really worry about nicks and dents and scratches. The car was well worn in when I got it, and I don't freak out when I get a door ding on it.
She's still fairly rust free and looks fine from 10 feet, and I try to keep her appearance up, but I don't obsess over it like I do my other cars. I can get 5 adults in it pretty comfortably and it's got a huge trunk. The value of the car hasn't really changed much in the past 4 or 5 years. It was worth around $4000 several years ago and it is probably worth close to the same now.

I have had to do very little work to the car, but at almost 200k miles, some work is to be expected. I just put 4 new quick struts in it, and bought 4 new tires. I also did the front inner tie rod ends and sway bar bushings and end links. I did them all myself and in my own garage with basic hand tools and had no problems. Very easy diy. In my 25,000 miles of ownership, I also replaced the transmission fluid, done brakes (front discs, rear drums) once or twice, replaced the valve cover gasket, and had an alignment. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

I honestly never knew I could love such a boring car.

View attachment 73077

Same here , I have my parent's 2003 Camry XLE 4 cyl ,got it 4/5 years ago with 145,000 km ( 87,000 ish miles ) and now it's 291,000 km ( 180,000 ish miles ) same story about burning oil at the same rate.......it's so Vanilla ...But it starts every time and with oil changes , tires and it still cleans up well.
I hate to say it.......it's a great car

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I kinda lean towards what the cabbies \ couriers are driving. There is cheap and reliable vs good and reliable.

Cheap - wbody Impala, regal, grand prix. The 3.8 will run forever, decent fuel economy, body will rot off before anything else, without a flush every 3 years the transmission will grenade

Good - camry 4cyl, body will rot off before the drivetrain dies. Get good with an oil undercoating gun and it will run virtually maintenance free for 200-300 thousand miles from all the couriers and cab drivers I have talked to.

If you just need a commuter then then Nissan Sentra or Corolla with Manual trans is another good one,

FWIW Last weeks purchase was a Camry SE, 3.5 V6 which replaces the 2003 Wbody Impala we had for the last 11.5 years which is only being replaced because the body is getting soft

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor