need a little electircal help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
trying to hook gauges up in my car but need a little help on the wiring diagram. the speedo sensor has white ,black,red. also the back speedo has black,and red. where i am confused is where the wires from the speedo sensor hook to. do they both go to the battery? the directions do give specifics. thanks for your advise.
20160704_161625.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
need more of the instructions in the picture but it looks pretty straight forward. Take a break and then take another look at it, I'm sure you'll figure it out...what brand of speedo is it?

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i have taken lots of breaks. i am not good with electrical. thats why i need help lol. the instruction arent very friendly for me lol

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
depending on what sender if you are using the 3 wire one the red goes to a switched power source, the black the ground and the white one connects to the top left terminal on the back of the speedo unit. If If you use the 2 wire the white wire for to the top left terminal and the other is the ground.

have you got the other wires figured out?. That looks like a nice speedo..:)

Reactions: 1 user

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
the 3 wire one. so the red would go to like the ignition?the black on the sensor would ground to the car ? sorry if i sound stupid. just need help. then the red from the back of the speedo would go to the battery? tried to find a company around here to install them but nobody would

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there are two reds on the back of the speedo, the bottom right connection goes to the battery, I would put a 10 amp fuse in that line if there isn't one. The bottom left connection on the speedo goes to a switched power source, it turns on when you put the key in run. I would put a 10 amp fuse in that one as well. For the sender the red would go to a switched power source and I would put a 10 amp fuse in that line. The black goes to ground and the white goes to the top left connection on the speedo.

The reason that one of the red wires on the speedo goes directly to the battery is to keep the memory alive in the speedo. The other red wires don't need to have power at all times. Although they say you connect that one wire to the battery you can connect it to a constant 12 volt connection in the fuse box. You'll see a few connections that are marked battery

Fuse box.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor