need a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu402mally

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2012
have a 80 malibu with a big block chevy..need to know what kind of carb cable i can use so i can tell when i really floor the pedal...has of now can not feel pedal movement to much....anybody have pic"s of there set up...thanks ps. holley 750 carb on edelbrock rpm manifold..

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
have a 80 malibu with a big block chevy..need to know what kind of carb cable i can use so i can tell when i really floor the pedal...has of now can not feel pedal movement to much....anybody have pic"s of there set up...thanks ps. holley 750 carb on edelbrock rpm manifold..
Not too sure what you're looking for here?.?.

By it's nature the properly adjusted cable has WOT/full pedal depression coinciding with the carb being full open. There isn't supposed to be "resistance" where the pedal could go further but you feel the carb is already full open. If the pedal won't go further to the floor you know you really floored it.

Or could be I don't really get the question properly.

Merlin1952

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern N.C.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking either but to me it sounds like you may just want a stiffer return spring on the carburetor so you get more feel when you press more on the pedal.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If you check out rockauto you'll find a few different length cables. I had to buy the shortest cable for the SBC crate motor I put in the wagon. The longer cables wouldnt lock into the cable bracket right. In the end I had to cut up a different bracket that had a 4 sided hole and have the piece with the hole TIG welded in place of the old hole. The old hole in the bracket had a slot on one side and the new cable wouldnt snap in right.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
If you looking to improve the resistance of the pedal movement then you may need a stronger return spring. The cable itself should move with little resistance so that it is not binding etc. If you are hitting the floor and not hitting WOT on the carb then there is an adjustment that needs to made somewhere to lessen the movement required to go between the extremes of idle to WOT.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I have to agree with the chorus here. On a carburetor, "tip-in" is the point in time at which the throttle plates start to move away from their barrel walls and expose the idle circuit more fully and completely as a prelude to initial acceleration when in gear. Tip In is not meant to be an abrupt event; totally to the contrary. A hard tip in, and I just finished solving the mystery of that on my own vehicle is both a nuisance and dangerous because you can't sense or feel when the car is about to move; with a hard tip in it is an all or nothing event. If you aren't feeling throttle cable movement then it would seem to me that all is well in your carburetor's world. What you might ought to be feeling is that whack in the pants, the push back into the depths of the seat, and the Hooom-ph of massive amounts of air being ingested by your engine that should occur as an immediate consequence of WOT. The a** end of the car will drop or squat down and the front end will get light as torque is applied by the engine through the transmission to the rear end and "weight" is transferred from front to back.

If you think that you are not getting a Wide Open Throttle situation, then a visit to the carb throttle cable and the mounting bracket for it is definitely in order. That comment above about needing the correct bracket is totally valid. That was another item on the list of things to visit that I went through to get my 700R4 and my FI-Tech 400 to learn to play nice together.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor