need a source for tailgate cable swage eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As the title says, I need to find duplicate factory type tailgate cable swage eyes. I would like to shorten the tailgate cables, due to the tailgate almost resting on the bumper when it's fully open.

I appreciate any thoughts and possible sources for these.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Reproduction El Camino cables - longer than wagon cables?
Quinn,
If I'm not mistaken, the El Camino cables are slightly longer. I remember a member needed a pair for his wagon, and another member offered him El Camino cables. After he had received them, he noticed that they were in fact longer.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Three choices as I see it

Try an overhead door company, the drum cable ends may be similar

Use die grinder/cutoff wheel to split swage lengthwise, shorten cable, weld/braze back together, grind/dress ferrule, cover with shrink tube

Relocate gate end to under one of the latch bolts. I would probably use a slightly longer bolt with a short length of brake tube to make a collar for cable to pivot on

All I can think of right now

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Had same issue with my El Cam. Someone installed wrong ones. I bought new on Ebay and they are the right fit

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jack, maybe you could just match up some shorter cables?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Quinn,
If I'm not mistaken, the El Camino cables are slightly longer. I remember a member needed a pair for his wagon, and another member offered him El Camino cables. After he had received them, he noticed that they were in fact longer.

Jack,
You are correct! I had sold that set to abadwillys and it turned out the ends were larger on the El Camino cables and could not be adapted to the wagon. I believe they were also around 1/4 inch longer in length.
Sorry to say you have to find the wagon specific ends and see if they can be made in custom lengths.

Bob S.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack,
You are correct! I had sold that set to abadwillys and it turned out the ends were larger on the El Camino cables and could not be adapted to the wagon. I believe they were also around 1/4 inch longer in length.
Sorry to say you have to find the wagon specific ends and see if they can be made in custom lengths.

Bob S.
Bob,
You were the person I was thinking of. I forgot that you sold yours to Bryan and that the ends were actually larger....I forgot that part of it.
Thank you for coming forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor