Need a Starting Point for 1987 Monte Carlo SS - BBC project

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Happy Sunday-Funday!

I'm new to the forum and have been searching its posts and links for the last 4 hours this morning. I'm hooked on the new/valuable information I've been finding. Here is the situation! I've purchased a 1987 Monte Carlo SS with a 454 (Mark V) engine, turbo 400 with a 3,000 RPM stall, and the original 3.73 factory rear.

I love the car, BUT WHAT A MESS. Clearly the person building had higher hopes, or maybe a different vision for the car, but never got there. Or was a horrible back yard mechanic.

I'm searching for information on several things at this point and just do not even know where to start.

1. Engine has no codes on it, not on the front lip on the passenger front side of the block, not on the back of the block, or any factory location. I mean I've looked everywhere. The car was actually sold to me as having a 502, purchased the car in the middle of our first big snow storm and got hasty when I knew how cheap I was buying a car with a running/healthy Big Block. After finding the 7.4L marking on the side of the block under the header and running the heads casting numbers I assume its from a 90's Suburban or something to that effect.

2. The V-Belt system needs to go. I currently have no power steering and am trying to either put together or find a serpentine system that will fit safely in the G-Body with no real simple solution, other than March's $2,000 or a mish-mosh of S10 pulleys with adapter plates. Almost everything seems to have an issue with the power steering and hood clearance. I intend to keep A/C in the car FYI.

3. 6 Speed transmission swap. I know its been done, but everyone seems to say on every forum.... BBC with any real power plus T56 = go pick up another transmission. I've read about the TKO 600 and some people use the 4 speeds. Eventually I want it paired to a 9" rear with 4.11s, but that's now way down the line.

If anyone has any links to some solid sites or information on any of these issues, or tackled any of these issues please let me know. I'm looking for advice on the matters.

Problems to be solved later.... getting over 200HP out of the 454 and the rear end.

Thank you!

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Here are some pictures of my engine compartment as it stands this morning. I plan on running an electric fan in the near future FYI.

Attachments

• IMG_5771.jpg
    IMG_5771.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 425
  • IMG_5772.jpg
    IMG_5772.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 438
  • IMG_5773.jpg
    IMG_5773.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 391

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The V-Belt system needs to go. I currently have no power steering and am trying to either put together or find a serpentine system that will fit safely in the G-Body with no real simple solution
Because of my accessories I retained the V-belt set up on my big block and have had no issues with belt slipping or throwing and I am shifting at 7400 RPM. My power steering pump is a new BBC pump on factory brackets with a 2 groove pulley and a single groove pulley added on to run my vacuum pump.
IMG_1380.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Wow! Now that's a set up. Any modifications to steering? What headers did you wind up going with? I've heard of one kit that has to be modified and another that is hooker, but pricey. Thanks! I saw the Lemons Headers in the post, but was it a specific model?

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
TR6060 is a pretty robust trans. Rated at 600 lb/ft. A magnum version is available that's rated at 700 lb/ft but would be hard to find used. To make that thing run it's going to need aftermarket heads, pistons, and cam. After that they are brutal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Wow! Now that's a set up. Any modifications to steering? What headers did you wind up going with? I've heard of one kit that has to be modified and another that is hooker, but pricey. Thanks! I saw the Lemons Headers in the post, but was it a specific model?
Thanks for the compliment, no modifications to the steering but I did upgrade to a Borgeson collapsible shaft and their u-joints.
The Lemons Headers are pricey also but they are custom made to your application, Dan adjusts for deck height, which head you are using, raised exhaust ports etc. are taken into consideration when building them.
I have one of the early sets that has one primary tube going over the frame rail, the current version has two tubes going over the frame rail and both require using a frontrunner for header clearance. Mine are 2-1/4" stepped to 2-3/8" going into a 4-1/2" collector and 4-1/2" exhaust through the mufflers. http://www.lemonsheaders.com/products/bbr-550.htm

Reactions: 1 user

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
TR6060 is a pretty robust trans. Rated at 600 lb/ft. A magnum version is available that's rated at 700 lb/ft but would be hard to find used. To make that thing run it's going to need aftermarket heads, pistons, and cam. After that they are brutal.
I appreciate the information! I was looking at a TKO 600 and the LT1 T56. I'll be sure to do a little more research on the TR6060. I dont know how available they are used but I'll be happy to look into it! Thanks!

RGBody87

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for the compliment, no modifications to the steering but I did upgrade to a Borgeson collapsible shaft and their u-joints.
The Lemons Headers are pricey also but they are custom made to your application, Dan adjusts for deck height, which head you are using, raised exhaust ports etc. are taken into consideration when building them.
I have one of the early sets that has one primary tube going over the frame rail, the current version has two tubes going over the frame rail and both require using a frontrunner for header clearance. Mine are 2-1/4" stepped to 2-3/8" going into a 4-1/2" collector and 4-1/2" exhaust through the mufflers. http://www.lemonsheaders.com/products/bbr-550.htm

Thank you again for the information. I am going to have to figure a little bit more of my puzzle out before I set on headers then. I know I am not keeping the factory heads on the car because they don't breath at all, so I will try and figure that step out later. I'll look into the steering asap, It needs maintenance if nothing else... but I was considering a close ratio firebird or camaro box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor