Need a Tachometer needle for 85 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
I was working on a friend's 1985 SS El Camino because the tach was pegging whenever the engine started. I took the dash apart and noted how many little plastic pieces had cracked/crumbled (we're in Texas). The dash internals look like an injection-molded Revell model car I used to build back in 1960s.

Anyway, I barely touched the tach needle and it broke in half, so I tried to pick up the loose piece and it crumbled into 3 more pieces. As brittle as a toasted hair.

Anybody know of a solution?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have heard tell of people gluing a toothpick to the hub and painting it to match.

Common problem with no easily found remedy. Somebody is making them (repro speedos and tachs are available), but nobody seems to have just the needles. I have a couple speedos that could use needles. and a tach also.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Replacement speedo needles can be found on mid 80’s GM vans. They are orange and fit right on, but are a little different style. Better than no needle though. Not sure on tach’s, if they work or if any other vehicles could be donors.

I’ll look at my spare tach pile, they are all busted or unrepairable for various reasons, not sure if I have any 85’ and older style though.

x75

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2018
thanks for the info. I guess I will have to look at other speedometers to see if there is a similar needle.

It's funny, I asked an instrument vendor on eBay (selling reproduction instruments from Taiwan or somewhere), whether they sold needles only and the reply was "nobody makes just those needles". Obviously somebody does.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Replacement speedo needles can be found on mid 80’s GM vans. They are orange and fit right on, but are a little different style. Better than no needle though. Not sure on tach’s, if they work or if any other vehicles could be donors.

I’ll look at my spare tach pile, they are all busted or unrepairable for various reasons, not sure if I have any 85’ and older style though.
I had a similar response from an outfit that rebuilds speedos...they don't have needles for sale, but will rebuild yours for $150...umm....no

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor