NEED ELECTRICAL HELP IN SEATTLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
HELP! 87 MC SS. Bought it in the condition you see in the pic. Nice car - love the way it looks. Car has been painted, new engine, new interior, Dakota Digital, electrical fan. First time I took it out the heater core went out. Changed the heater core. Second time out the alternator went out, new alternator installed. Now the electrical radiator fan is out and I am having electrical problems... Power windows, door locks, etc... I need a mechanic who does electrical on these G-Bodies in Seattle. Does anyone know a good mechanic that does electrical in Seattle?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought the only problem people have in Seattle is the lack of sleep....:p

sounds like a fusible link may have fried. Is there any other components that don't work?

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought the only problem people have in Seattle is the lack of sleep....:p

sounds like a fusible link may have fried. Is there any other components that don't work?

Everything else seems to be working. My mind wants to get the car rewired... What do you think something like that would cost? I dont have a problem turning a wrench but I am scared of electrical stuff... Simple things I could probably do but this seems way beyond my level...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The electrical system on these cars are pretty basic. A common problem with these cars is the poor grounds it has so if I were you I'd be making sure the grounds are good. If you don't have any tools for electrical work all you really need is a circuit tester and a multimeter. As far as getting the car rewired I have no idea what that would cost.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
HELP! 87 MC SS. Bought it in the condition you see in the pic. Nice car - love the way it looks. Car has been painted, new engine, new interior, Dakota Digital, electrical fan. First time I took it out the heater core went out. Changed the heater core. Second time out the alternator went out, new alternator installed. Now the electrical radiator fan is out and I am having electrical problems... Power windows, door locks, etc... I need a mechanic who does electrical on these G-Bodies in Seattle. Does anyone know a good mechanic that does electrical in Seattle?
Nice car!

I don't know of any mechanics in your area but will add my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

I'm thinking that hiring a mechanic for a deterministic job such as a water pump replacement is fine if a person is lacking the mechanical skills. The reason for this, is that it's a fixed amount of time to perform the job and doesn't require too much thought outside of the 'script'.

As far as hiring a mechanic to debug electrical issues in an old car I'm not too sure about that idea. I'm thinking that this could run into lots of time and money.

Maybe you could take a shot at fixing one of your electrical issues at a time. As mentioned by pontiacgp, you could make sure all of your ground connections are good to start.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nice car!

I don't know of any mechanics in your area but will add my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

I'm thinking that hiring a mechanic for a deterministic job such as a water pump replacement is fine if a person is lacking the mechanical skills. The reason for this, is that it's a fixed amount of time to perform the job and doesn't require too much thought outside of the 'script'.

As far as hiring a mechanic to debug electrical issues in an old car I'm not too sure about that idea. I'm thinking that this could run into lots of time and money.

Maybe you could take a shot at fixing one of your electrical issues at a time. As mentioned by pontiacgp, you could make sure all of your ground connections are good to start.

I will check all the grounds. Can someone point me in the direction of a map of the wiring for my car please?

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Definitely check grounds,especially under the hood.Iv'e seen so many engine changes where people forget or don't think all ground connections are needed but they are,probably be a simple fix once your fuses and fusible links are replaced.

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
Definitely check grounds,especially under the hood.Iv'e seen so many engine changes where people forget or don't think all ground connections are needed but they are,probably be a simple fix once your fuses and fusible links are replaced.

DROLDS, the guy I bought the car from had most of the work done recently. So it looks like I will be troubleshooting all the work done. Electrical stuff intimidates me...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor