Need engine advice going foward

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That's going to cost you quite a chunk of change to have someone do your upgrade for you. I always buy the springs recommended for the cam. Unless you are a racer you won't be feeling the HP gain till your pushing RPMS. Put a good set of lifters in it and save a lot of money. One other thought - do you have to readjust valves around #7 ?? I believe you have push-in rocker studs, make sure your not pulling one.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
That's going to cost you quite a chunk of change to have someone do your upgrade for you. I always buy the springs recommended for the cam. Unless you are a racer you won't be feeling the HP gain till your pushing RPMS. Put a good set of lifters in it and save a lot of money. One other thought - do you have to readjust valves around #7 ?? I believe you have push-in rocker studs, make sure your not pulling one.

I'd like to do a roller to put behind me the days of Zinc additives and worrying about wiping a lobe. I don't believe I can just change lifters since after the cam break in on a flat tappet cam the lifters and cam are basically patterned after each other. As far as the rocker studs that's a good thought. I didn't notice any issues when I had the rocker covers off, and the shop it was at didn't either. Also it doesn't start to tick typically until the engine is warm, unless it's been run in consecutive days.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If you want to do a roller by all means go for it and make sure camshaft end play is set. I have no problem on a used cam with new lifters AS LONG AS the lifters coming out show no signs of dishing and the cam ramp patterns look good plus you are low miles. I would install the lifters w/ asm lube and do a break in. I'm an old fart and have never lost a flat tappet cam and using a lot more spring pressure.

Reactions: 1 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If you want to do a roller by all means go for it and make sure camshaft end play is set. I have no problem on a used cam with new lifters AS LONG AS the lifters coming out show no signs of dishing and the cam ramp patterns look good plus you are low miles. I would install the lifters w/ asm lube and do a break in. I'm an old fart and have never lost a flat tappet cam and using a lot more spring pressure.

From the guy at the hot rod shop it was at, he says that only like 3 companies world wide are mKing these lifters anymore, no matter what the name on the box says. There like made by 12 years olds in third world countries who lost fingertips in the process. Also said the lifters and flat tappet cams aren't bullt like they used to be. The metals don't get the best curing and other processes like they used to. Says even with high Zinc oils and additives it's still not enough. People wipe cams all the time. That's the unfortunate disconnect between conventional car guy wisdom and multinational corporate cheapness.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
From the guy at the hot rod shop it was at, he says that only like 3 companies world wide are mKing these lifters anymore, no matter what the name on the box says. There like made by 12 years olds in third world countries who lost fingertips in the process. Also said the lifters and flat tappet cams aren't bullt like they used to be. The metals don't get the best curing and other processes like they used to. Says even with high Zinc oils and additives it's still not enough. People wipe cams all the time. That's the unfortunate disconnect between conventional car guy wisdom and multinational corporate cheapness.

hmm.. I'd take that with a grain of salt. I just counted over a dozen in China alone. Maybe just American? Johnson, Melling, AJUSA, and Wesco?

I dunno... doesn't sound right to me.

-Gonz

• Disagree

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi

Guess you found your engine advice !!

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Guess you found your engine advice !!

Guy is impossible to get your car into. I would have had to flatbed it in during January if I wanted it by June. Take it now burn the whole car season. I live in Buffalo and with this years sh*t weather car season hasn't even started. It snowed less than 48 hours ago.

• Agree

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I am taking your advice after all. So many variables to and costs with the roller upgrade. Got a set of Crower lifters and I'm going to have those installed and broken in.

I'm putting the money into other aspects of the car. Got a new radiator as mine is leaking. My hoses look like crap so I'm doing all new ones. Same with the water pump, current one looks like it's off the titanic. Hoping this works out and looking forward to a good car season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor