Need Exhaust Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRest92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2013
So long story short, I got my car back from the transmission shop and they messed up my exhaust when they had to disconnect it. I've burned ties with this shop, so I'll be repairing it myself. My problem is there's a leak where the green arrow is pointing in the pictures, but I have no idea what it is supposed to look like. Does a gasket or flange belong there? is one end of the pipe supposed to fit into the other? or maybe my pipes are just rusted and need replacing? Any help is appreciated and if anyone has a pic of their setup it would help a lot.

IMAG0004.jpg
IMAG0003.jpg

At work we have a product from VersaChem, exhaust system crack and joint repair sealer. I've used it, but not sure how long it lasts. Summit sells those ball sockets if you want to replace it.

DXS_00161.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't blame the shop, when you take apart things that have been on the car for around 30 years you can expect parts to break and/or not go back on the way they were...

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Not sure what's going on there. There should be a ball-socket style connection there. Looks like it still kinda sorta is, but the factory socket flange has been replaced by a flat flange and the ball part...is that a tennis ball?

Unfortunately, this is one area of the exhaust that can't be cobbled together very successfully. It is actually where the bulk of the weight lyes, and if the joint isn't quite up to snuff or misaligned, it's going to leak, bind/vibrate/fall apart and just be a continuous multitude of headaches.

Although I plan on putting dual exhaust on my car eventually, the factory setup in the meantime couldn't be rigged-up anymore. I finally just had to buy a full stock replacement system. I think the main pipe that runs from the cat to past the gas tank is $25. That's the main piece to the puzzle. Although the pipes might be ok overall (not rotted out), if the ends aren't right there isn't much you can do with it. You can buy just the ends but it's going to be more money, time, labor, and a pain to get all lined up.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I'd say it's time for headers and dual exhaust. Those pipes are rusty as heck, don't mask the problem, replace them. Just my 2 cents worth....

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
This also appears to be an Olds 307 V8 car?

I ended up using the factory replacement intermediate pipe but welded a flat flange on top of the ball socket. I welded a matching flange on the rear of the universal catalytic converter to bolt them together. Had to find a matching square 4-bolt flange to weld to the front of the converter that then bolts to what is referred to as the "front pipe" (elbow pipe between the RH exhaust manifold and catalytic converter).

But the reason for this was so that I could make a matching eliminator pipe that could be easily bolted in in place of the catalytic converter.

Sorry about the tennis ball comment. Upon further inspection it looks more like a ham bone. Seriously though, I'm not sure how that joint didn't leak previously.

NoRest92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2013
This also appears to be an Olds 307 V8 car?

I ended up using the factory replacement intermediate pipe but welded a flat flange on top of the ball socket. I welded a matching flange on the rear of the universal catalytic converter to bolt them together. Had to find a matching square 4-bolt flange to weld to the front of the converter that then bolts to what is referred to as the "front pipe" (elbow pipe between the RH exhaust manifold and catalytic converter).

But the reason for this was so that I could make a matching eliminator pipe that could be easily bolted in in place of the catalytic converter.

Sorry about the tennis ball comment. Upon further inspection it looks more like a ham bone. Seriously though, I'm not sure how that joint didn't leak previously.

Thanks for the advice guys! This is on my '85 v6 Regal, but kustomkyle where did you find the factory replacement parts for your setup? I'm having a difficult time locating a replacement from a reputable seller. I thought about just running an after market dual exhaust, but it's only a v6 for now and I'm unsure of the direction I want to take the car.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Is the exhaust mount still hooked up at the trans support? I don't see new fasteners or even tool marks on the old rusty bolts. The back of that cat is a long way from the manifolds if there is no support - the joint could be flexing and leaking. How exactly did the trans shop disconnect the exhaust?

Might be time to consider a Monte SS or GN cat-back system. Maybe a replacement cat too. Are you able to go to true duals?

NoRest92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2013
Is the exhaust mount still hooked up at the trans support? I don't see new fasteners or even tool marks on the old rusty bolts. The back of that cat is a long way from the manifolds if there is no support - the joint could be flexing and leaking. How exactly did the trans shop disconnect the exhaust?

Might be time to consider a Monte SS or GN cat-back system. Maybe a replacement cat too. Are you able to go to true duals?

Yeah everything is still connected to the trans mount by the rubber connector/ mount. I'm honestly not sure how they disconnected it. It didn't leak previously, but I'm sure it was only a matter of time seeing as how bad the pipes are on the ends. Would a Monte or GN cat-back be a direct bolt up? I don't want to go true duals because I have no idea what I'll do to this car in the future. No point in spending 300-800 on duals for this v6 if I'm just going to swap to a v8 and headers in a few years. Plus I'm just not a huge fan of how a v6 sounds with duals lol

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You might try this basic kit and see what you can do with it. No mufflers or headers. You could try and cutting the Y-pipe upstream of the catalytic converter, welding on a flange and using a single pipe and muffler. You could add the other pipe if you go to a V8 later.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680146

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor