Need Help! 400 SBC Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
Hi All,

I had a performance engine shop build a 400 SBC for me. The issue that I have is the builder did not put steam holes in the heads. He said it will be fine, but I’m not too sure.

It’s still at his shop and I need to pay him for the build. However, I called a few machine shops and everyone I talked to said I will definitely need the holes, if it’s a Street Rod. They said it will overheat if I’m running below 2,000 rpm. The fix will be an extra $1,000 on top of the $6,800 I already paid. The builder was cutting corners like crazy during the whole build at my expense.

My questions are:

1) Do I really need the holes for a Street Rod application?

2) Do I ask him to remove $1000 from the bill because he should have done it to begin with?

3) Do I keep it at his shop so I don’t damage the engine?

4) Should I hire an attorney?

I would not have him do any more work to the car due to some integrity and honesty issues. (Long story)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
When I bought my car it had a 400 in it that wanted to run hot. I pulled it and the steam holes weren't drilled. I didn't go back with it.

GM put those there for a reason, in my opinion. My research led me to believe you need them for the street. I live in Houston and want to run A/C.

For grins, I downloaded the instructions for a pair of Performer RPM heads for a SBC. They said if you were putting the heads on a 400, they MUST have the steam holes drilled. That was enough for me.

I've read the same feedback, that the steam holes are not needed for sustained high RPM use, like dirt track racing. That's as much as I know.

I'm not sure how to advise you on the engine builder. That sounds like a bad deal and I'm sorry to hear it.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
When I bought my car it had a 400 in it that wanted to run hot. I pulled it and the steam holes weren't drilled. I didn't go back with it.

GM put those there for a reason, in my opinion. My research led me to believe you need them for the street. I live in Houston and want to run A/C.

For grins, I downloaded the instructions for a pair of Performer RPM heads for a SBC. They said if you were putting the heads on a 400, they MUST have the steam holes drilled. That was enough for me.

I've read the same feedback, that the steam holes are not needed for sustained high RPM use, like dirt track racing. That's as much as I know.

I'm not sure how to advise you on the engine builder. That sounds like a bad deal and I'm sorry to hear it.

Definitely a bad deal.. you have no clue. I’m so heartbroken.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. I have read the same things about the holes.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have heard of people running a 400 SBC without steam holes on the street with no issues but when I ran my 400 years ago I drilled my heads for the steam holes.
I consider drilling the holes a simple operation using the head gasket as a template and drilling at the proper angles and it falls under the "better safe than sorry" category.
Sorry, but I have never really had any shop actually build me an engine so I can't really advise on your situation with the machine shop.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
@ this point,just be honest with the person building it.you've come this far with them and you should try and end on a positive note.

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
I have heard of people running a 400 SBC without steam holes on the street with no issues but when I ran my 400 years ago I drilled my heads for the steam holes.
I consider drilling the holes a simple operation using the head gasket as a template and drilling at the proper angles and it falls under the "better safe than sorry" category.
Sorry, but I have never really had any shop actually build me an engine so I can't really advise on your situation with the machine shop.

Thanks for the reply.. I’m with you on the better safe than sorry mode of thinking.

I thought the shop was reputable. Boy was I wrong. The guy saw that I was new to the performance engine world and took advantage of the situation. He told me he was going to put certain parts on for X amount of money. They later substituted the parts for old used parts he had laying around his shop. What he didn’t have there he pulled from my old engine.. and still wanted the same amount of money. Total bait and switch. He wanted to maximize his profit margin. That explains why he didn’t want to spend the $250 it would’ve took to get the heads machined. He didn’t care if the engine took a crap down the road. If I came back to him he would just tell me to get lost. Sad

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
@ this point,just be honest with the person building it.you've come this far with them and you should try and end on a positive note.

I totally agree. However, he has lied to me so much and done so many shady things I don’t trust him. If I had him do the work he would just drag feet for 6 months just to be a jerk.

At this point I would be happy if he reimbursed me for the price to have the heads removed machined and reinstalled. Knowing him he will tell me to get out of his shop.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Have you actually spent $6800 or is that what he thinks you owe him? There is no way it should cost $1000 to drill the steam holes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I think I would take all my paperwork and talk to an attorney. Ser what kind of legal options you have.

• Agree

Jester84H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Maryland
Have you actually spent $6800 or is that what he thinks you owe him? There is no way it should cost $1000 to drill the steam holes.

The total for the engine builder is $6500 for the engine and $300 for transmission removal.

I called a few machine shops and was quoted at $250 for just the machine work. The rest was parts and labor to remove and reinstall the heads brining it roughly to $800 +/- I rounded because there is always hidden things popping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor