Need help asap! Gauge cluster issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Econman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I hate for my first help request to have an urgency associated with it, but I'm in a pinch. So here goes:

When I recently installed a crate 350 in my 82 MC, I used an eddy 1406 and a new hei with vacuum advance. I did an ecu delete.

The voltage going to my gauges (oil pressure, fuel gauge, temp) is being feed by a full 12 volts and has already killed two oil pressure sending units and the fuel sending unit. Obviously, the voltage should be reduced, but I have no idea what is causing this, specifically. I have it in a shop and they cannot figure it out either..

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks!

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
Are these aftermarket gauges? If so, 1st, install a fuse on your gauges. When I bought my AutoMeter gauges, I think it recommended 5 amp fuse. 2nd, where are you drawing power for your gauges? From the fuse block? From the battery?

Econman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Are these aftermarket gauges? If so, 1st, install a fuse on your gauges. When I bought my AutoMeter gauges, I think it recommended 5 amp fuse. 2nd, where are you drawing power for your gauges? From the fuse block? From the battery?

No, the gauges are all OEM. Any chance that taking out the ecu took out a necessary ground link?

Everything seems to be running high voltage, even the heater system..

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
Have you put a voltmeter on the gauges and the heater? Your voltage regulator sounds like it isn't working properly if you are having problems besides your gauges.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Econman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Have you put a voltmeter on the gauges and the heater? Your voltage regulator sounds like it isn't working properly if you are having problems besides your gauges.

Everything is getting a a full 12 volts. And using a test light on all the ground connections for the heat, ac, gauges.. they are getting a hot feedback through them too.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
If everything is getting a consistant 12 volts, I'm thinking it's your ground wires. The wiring in general on these are cars are starting to become brittle, and they will start to do weird things. Since this is a problem across the board, and it's getting the normal 12 volts, I'd check your ground. Make sure the main ground that goes to the alternator bracket is solid, and check for cracks. Make sure the ground strap that goes from the firewall to the engine is in good shape.

You may want to pull the alternator and the battery and get it checked at a repair shop or AutoZone for good measure.

Econman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Everything you suggested had been done except for testing the alternator. And it is the original..

I'll pull it off and get it tested.

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
Can you post a picture of your wiring?specifically the alternator and starter solenoid.

Removing the ecm wont cause this.

An issue i ran into on my grand prix v6 was the wiring to the oil sensor.the factory had 3 wires on the oil sensor.1 wire is for the gauge/light,2nd wire was 12volts,3rd wire went to the electric choke.they used the oil pressure switch to turn the choke on only when it was running.

Econman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
The car It's in a shop almost 25 miles away. Probably be a day or two but thanks for lending some help. I'll post them as soon as I can..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor