Need help diagnosing hi- speed fan blower motor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Hey guys,

The hi on my blower motor simply doesnt work. I replaced the hi speed fan relay but to no avail. Would the resistor be the culprit or just a bad heater control unit in the dash? In fact does the blower motor even shut off? It seems that it remains on in a very low setting. Any ideas?

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Check for 12 volts (when on high setting) on the thick red wire that plugs into the resistor. If the 12 volts is missing, check the connector in the harness that is routed over the passenger valve cover. I've seen a bad connection in said connector cause this issue on a few gbody's in the past..

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
X2 on that connector. It's a know problem. High speed power comes through that connector.

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
X3 on the connecter. Just did mine a few mins ago. Connecter on mine was kinda dangling between the trans dipstick and the breather hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner. I no sooner pushed my multimeter probes into the grimey connecter and boom....high speed. So I cleaned it all up and plugged it back in. Perfect. I also replaced the switch on the controls with a Borg Warner BL-1 switch, since I already installed it before checking the connector. Ehh, it was $8.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
X4 on the connector malady. It's a very common problem with these cars. Pull the connector apart and clean and burnish the contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor