need help getting coils back in after cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
iv asked in a few of my other ports iv put up but havent really gottin a answer.so what i need to kno is how to cut my springs down and how thay woud go back in place iv got the rear ones out and.iv found online that i need to cut them form the top in the rear and the bottom in the fornt.i dont have the fornt ones out yet was goin to do thos after the rear.but what i dont get is after cutting what needs to be done to put them back in?ones the top is cut off i dont see how it woud sit in place right.so can i plz get some info on how to get them back in after cutting is thee something i need to get to get them in and sit right?im planing on putting in a air ryd set up but i want to get the springs cut cuz ones the car is lower my wheels will hit the iner lip of the fender so i want to cut the springs down little bit by little to take care of the tires hitting anything and kno where im at b4 just putting the air ryd on and the car droping down and messing things up

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
to my knowledge you cannot cut a factory g body rear spring as they are closed on both ends. you will need an fbody spring and isolator. as far as the fronts i would imagine you could compress, cut a 1/4 coil and un compress and check height. shouldnt have to remove from car as long as you have a cutoff wheel and die grinder

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
mebe007 said:
to my knowledge you cannot cut a factory g body rear spring as they are closed on both ends. you will need an fbody spring and isolator. as far as the fronts i would imagine you could compress, cut a 1/4 coil and un compress and check height. shouldnt have to remove from car as long as you have a cutoff wheel and die grinder

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
cutlass79 said:
mebe007 said:
thats what i was worndering if i would need dif springs and isolator thanks for that help.so the stock fornt one are open and the ends?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
yeah front springs are open on both ends

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
you can cut your stock springs in the back alot of people have done it.. though it is true that they are closed in the back when you do it the spring will hold on to the axle but on the top it will just sit in the cup and if you done cut too much off it will be fine. just watch out when you jack up the back in the future cause it can fall out.. its the cheapest way to do it.. but if your gonna buy another springs do cut thenm just pick up some moog springs they only go for like 70 a pair and you can find the right ones to drop your car to the height you want...

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
Lowproelco said:
you can cut your stock springs in the back alot of people have done it.. though it is true that they are closed in the back when you do it the spring will hold on to the axle but on the top it will just sit in the cup and if you done cut too much off it will be fine. just watch out when you jack up the back in the future cause it can fall out.. its the cheapest way to do it.. but if your gonna buy another springs do cut thenm just pick up some moog springs they only go for like 70 a pair and you can find the right ones to drop your car to the height you want...
i dont relly plan to drive it with them cut maybe just to test the trans one im done fixin it but thas it.im goin with air ryd but i want to cut the springs down lil by lil to make sure the tires wont hit anything ones the air ryd is on i kno i have to trim the the lip on the fenders out cut thay will hit and to make sure nothin els will be in the way manly for peace of mind so i kno when he air bags air down im good cuz my tires are new only put maybe 10 miles on them b4 parking for the winter.with the op of the spring just sitting there will it mess anyhing up?

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
it we be metal on metal so it might squeek some... wat you can do is wrap the top with some rubber or somthing soft to act as cushion so its in between the cup and spring.. but either way ur cool.. is it ghetto sure.. but if you got no funds and you wanna drop ur car cutting or heating the springs is the way to go... granted cutting is better than heating..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor