Need Help (grant steering wheel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I just got a new steering column put on my cutlass, after the steering column was put back on my mechanic reinstalled my grant no wheel no steal, then i realized the my turn signal switch was bad so i took the no wheel no steal off (except the grant hub because it was stuck) to install a new wiper switch, but now the grant hub isnt coming off its stuck, my mechanic tighten the 3 bolts that go on the hub real tight (they arent supposed to be tight) now he removed the bolts but the hub is still stuck, so what do i do to remove the hub???

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
You will need a steering wheel puller to uninstall that hub. If you are referring to the aluminum or steel adapter piece that is spline to fit onto the steering shaft, then you will need a steering wheel puller to get it off there. If you could post a picture up of what your looking at I could tell you for certain. Im about 99% certain that is what youre looking at though.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
yeah I got a steering wheel puller but i have to find 3 screws that fit into that hub because the ones that came with the steering wheel puller are too big

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Should be a couple of bolts that are the correct size in that puller kit, if not go rent one from autozone or rent a harmonic balancer puller, I usually use a balancer puller on mine as it had the correct size bolts for the column

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
This is what im talking about

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,227

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Yep, thats it sir. If you cant find the correct bolts,take the three that hold the wheel on and go to ace hardware or lowes and get some 3 inch long screws in the same size. That will probably be the easiest route to go.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
yeah thats what me and my dad were thinking we went to home depot and they didnt have them so we gonna check ace hardware cuz i figure they will have a bigger selection

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
if ace doesnt have it, no one will as far as fasteners, of course fastenal or grainger would have them too, but ace's selection is far superior to the depot or lowes. Good luck, let me know how it goes, I have to take mine off soon to weld on my steering wheel quick disconnect.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Ok I'll let you know, when I took it off the first time it came off easily because i didnt tie the bolts too tight but my mechanic overtightened them

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
He didn't overtighten the nut, it's a tapered shaft and it's supposed to be tight. That's why a puller is needed for any steering wheel. Don't leave it loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor