Need help identifying something

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
didn't know where else to post this but can someone tell me the proper name of the plastic dash inserts that the dash upper vent screws screw into? After taking out the dash i noticed i didn't have any and can't search the web for them cause i don't know what they are called.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Are you talking about plastic screw anchors?

I think you're talking about the upper screws for the dash retention to the body. Those, I believe, are called "nylon screw grommets". They're a nylon nut of sorts, but are slotted to allow for lateral adjustment. I don't know if they have a GM part number. I can't seem to find any specific nut size for that application at the moment. Anyone that has their dash out take some measurements, and pics?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Are they even plastic? They may be made of metal. It's been so long since I had a dash out, I really cannot recall.

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Are they even plastic? They may be made of metal. It's been so long since I had a dash out, I really cannot recall.

If we're thinking of the same thing yes they should be metal...just pulled a dash about 3 weeks ago..

Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Here a a couple of pics of where they would go if that's of help.
plasticinsertrightr.jpg
plasticinsetleft.jpg

I think you're talking about the upper screws for the dash retention to the body. Those, I believe, are called "nylon screw grommets". They're a nylon nut of sorts, but are slotted to allow for lateral adjustment. I don't know if they have a GM part number. I can't seem to find any specific nut size for that application at the moment. Anyone that has their dash out take some measurements, and pics?

I posted pics of where they go if that’s of help.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Hmm...it looks as though your defrost ductwork is mounted as it should be...

Couple of pics of a removed dash..sorry for the graininess...it's a picture of a video on the net

20200407_140647.jpg

20200407_140654.jpg

The silver colored clips hold the dash to the body...

Unless I'm reading something wrong/not understanding correctly. This is a Cutlass dash...there may be slight differences with the Malibu. I haven't pulled a Malibu dash in awhile now...so can't recall for sure.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Hmm...it looks as though your defrost ductwork is mounted as it should be...

Couple of pics of a removed dash..sorry for the graininess...it's a picture of a video on the net

View attachment 141662

View attachment 141663

The silver colored clips hold the dash to the body...

Unless I'm reading something wrong/not understanding correctly. This is a Cutlass dash...there may be slight differences with the Malibu. I haven't pulled a Malibu dash in awhile now...so can't recall for sure.
The 81 Elky dash is different unfortunately. In my 76 Malibu they were just long plastic inserts that the screws went into. I assume so you didn't have to line the dash up to perfectly and you could screw in the screws anywhere into the plastic.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I've pulled several dashes from Malibus/Caminos....but it's been a few years. I've never seen any kind of plastic nut to hold the ductwork or the dash to the body. The most recent dash I pulled was Pontiac and it was the same...no type of plastic nut. I'm sorry I don't have a picture at work here.

**Edit..I was able to access my ImageShack (shhh) I have a picture of part of the dash area of one of the El Camino's I parted out but sadly when it's blown up you can't make out the detail very well...

e4uy.jpg

Last edited:

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I've pulled several dashes from Malibus/Caminos....but it's been a few years. I've never seen any kind of plastic nut to hold the ductwork or the dash to the body. The most recent dash I pulled was Pontiac and it was the same...no type of plastic nut. I'm sorry I don't have a picture at work here.

**Edit..I was able to access my ImageShack (shhh) I have a picture of part of the dash area of one of the El Camino's I parted out but sadly when it's blown up you can't make out the detail very well...

View attachment 141671
What I'm referring to isn't any kind of nut. On the 76 it's just a long rectangular piece of plastic that was rounded at the ends. For lack of a better description it was sorta shaped like the inside of a bathtub. It was one solid piece that ran the entire length of the grooves similar to the ones I'm pointing at in the pics right behind the actual vents. It was basically there just as a surface that the dash vent screws could bite into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor