Need help picking rear end!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
I know this has been discussed 100x but I am looking for a drop in solution (most cost effective) to work in my monte carlo ss. The car has a stock 7.5 posi with new axels, but I am looking to put a stout rear behind my built 6.0LS/TKO600. I have heard mixed reviews of the quick performance rear.

I bought Ride tech coil overs so i wont be needing spring perches, and UMI upper/lower arms... I would like to use the new suspension ive purchased to bolt the new rear in. The car is a pro-touring style build and I want the car to handle well for the road but have the ability to do auto x/road course the odd time.

I know people will say 8.5 but they are creeping up in costs too... might be better to just spend the extra cash on a 9''

Let me know your thoughts!

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
IMO for the cost of an 8.5 Gbody I'd just spring for a 12 bolt or 9 inch built by a reputable company. Leave the 8.5s to the 442/SS guys.

then it's just see which is priced right. 9s are nice if you change gear ratios. 12 bolts look like they belong. That would be my criteria

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Agree w/ Pontiac - order a 12 or 9 the way you want it with the ends axles and splines to fit your needs and its new. I prefer the 9 - readily available and reasonable.

IMG_5867.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Why, does it snore?

What do you mean?
Slang for "don't eliminate it as a possibility" ;) Get up to speed, old man! :p
Of course, there's the Exploder 8.8, too, but I don't think it will work with the UMI arms/coilover combo.....

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor