Need help removing carb (Buick 231 V-6)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I need your guys’ help and collective wisdom. I’m attempting to remove the carburetor. Naturally, being a CCC (and a California model on top of it!) there are a million hoses, tubes, sensors and connectors connected to it.

The biggest one is connected to the front of the carb. I’m thinking it’s probably EGR. The problem I’m having is the lock nut is so chewed up, that it’s hard to get a good grip on it, and when I do, it starts twisting and deforming the hard line, which already looks kind of crimped and deformed. Any tips on how to get it off without causing any further damage appreciated. Thanks.

D9B02FB0-0C8B-41E7-92B5-5F090E59F198.jpeg

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
is that not the fuel line ?

if so undo it at the filter housing .........the big one. yes the fuel line will be destroyed .................but what fun would it be if it was simple ?

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Can't hurt that any more- that's the fuel line in. Some WD vice grips and an open end to hold the filter housing and hope the line doesn't turn. Couple of taps on the line might help. Looks like you have some old (cracked) vacuum lines (replace)

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My choice of tool for that fitting would be a 12" pipe wrench....:)

• Agree

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Yeah, there are a lot of cracked/dried out hoses. No matter what I do, it seems like the line just wants to twist & deform. Seems like I might have to replace it. Does anyone know what diameter the line is for the Buick V-6? Was thinking of going to Harbor Freight and getting a pipe bender and flaring kit, just in case.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yup- fuel line. Hold the filter housing with a 1" open end wrench. Grab that mangled nut with a big-*ss Vice Grips or small pipe wrench. If you are skillfull you can cut off the bad end and re-flare for another nut. Or make a whole new steel line. Or just buy a new line altogether.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I'm tempted to write this one off as a total loss and just start over and order (or fab) a new fuel line. Unfortunately, my father-in-law, who has 45 years of experience as a mechanic is busy today. I'm a little hesitant to apply any heat or flame to it, being as it's a fuel line! :eek:

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I'm tempted to write this one off as a total loss and just start over and order (or fab) a new fuel line. Unfortunately, my father-in-law, who has 45 years of experience as a mechanic is busy today. I'm a little hesitant to apply any heat or flame to it, being as it's a fuel line! :eek:
Don't use heat, use a flare wrench next time.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
That fuel line is toast. You could cut the line with a hacksaw or tubing cutter, that would relieve the nut and make it easier to remove. Your father in law probably has a line flare kit and tubing bender, you can pick up a new piece of tubing at most any auto parts store and bend it to match (heck, you could bend it around most anything round if you don't have a tube bender) cut it to the correct length, reflare an end and you're good to go. You probably want to own a flare tool and tubing bender and cutter if you plan on brake upgrades also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor