Need help to ID a motor

Discussion in 'Engine / Swaps etc.' started by axisg, Apr 14, 2009.

1. axisg

axisg Royal Smart Person

Serial on the Block is 4088548. I know it's missing a digit but that's all that's there on the block for a serial.

Engine is supposed to be a 5.7 out of a 93 4x4 truck.

I can see in the pics that there is a cover over the fuel pump
    Trying to figure out HP specs and whether it's a roller block or not.

Looking for some help from the engine gurus out there on whether it's a good candidate to toss some heads on and run it as-is until I save enough coin for a decent motor + trans. Took the car out last weekend and I have the 305 blues.

2. 85 Cutlass Brougham

If it is a 1993 engine, it SHOULD say the displacement in liters on the back by the bellhousing flange. If it is a 305, it will day "GM 5.0L", a 350 "GM 5.7L".

3. 88ss408

88ss408 Greasemonkey

if it's a 93 motor you have a 1 pice rear seal ,no provision for a fuel pump ,probley a roller motor (as they started in 88 ) , low compression low horse power.
    but if it's in good shape and good running order (oil pressure and compression tested) you can trow a cam in there and a intake and 4bbl,headers and have a good power plant. just don't expect a race motor
    good luck with your build !

4. axisg

axisg Royal Smart Person

Nah, just hoping for 275 - 300 hp with the hotcam, roller rockers, and vortec heads I have gathered over the winter.
    The thing that throws me about this motor is the fuel pump blockoff plate which tells me it's a late 80's motor coupled with the fact that I have a clear picture of the incomplete serial number on the back of the block which leads me nowhere.

5. 88ss408

88ss408 Greasemonkey

then it's a replacement block.i had a 93 block once and i got rid of it because of no fuel pump hole. i think they stoprd drilling them out in early 90's.
    but yeah like i said if the oil pressure is good and there is good compression high 200's should not be a problem

6. 85 Cutlass Brougham

Well, with the LT4 cam ( if that is the one you have), Vortec heads and the right intake (Performer RPM) and headers, it should make far more than 275hp. I would estimate around 350hp at the crank provided it has at least 9:1 compression when you are done. Use steel shim head gaskets as they will bump the compression a bit.

7. Doober

Doober Royal Smart Person

You'll be closer to 400hp with the Hot Cam and Vortec heads ;)

Just because the blockoff plate is there doesn't mean it doesn't have a hole drilled. Take the plate off & check it out. Also double check your bearing clearances & toss a new oil pump on while you're down there (use this pump).

8. axisg

axisg Royal Smart Person

Unless the seller comes to his senses I am gonna pass on the motor. Because the motor is sitting on a shelf in a warehouse and not in a car I am unable to hear it run. I asked if I could pull off the oil pan to at least check if it was a 4 bolt and check the bottom of the cylinders for wear and he said in caps NO WAY ARE YOU RIPPING THE MOTOR APART ! Kinda puts a damper on things because I am not paying hundreds of dollars for a boat anchor !