need help w/ alternator wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Is this how alternators get wired from the factory. Just wondering cuz my lights flicker and the other engine I have has the alternator wires ran differently. Plus it looked like someone mickey moused it. I talked to a guy at the parts store and he said somethin about runnin one of the wires from the 2 wire connector to the charging post and then it acts like a generator on a tractor and will cause all the lights to pulse or flicker. He said hot rodders used to do that. Any help would be great. I bought a new connectoralready and I'm gettin a new alt., but I think theres more to it. Like in how it's wired up. there is also some cut wires in the loom before the alt. should one of the cut wires go to the the connector where the one wire goes from the connector to the charging post? Also the charge wire looks kinda small and goes to the battery. One site shows it goin to the starter, and the other wires to the ignition/gen. light and main buss(fuse box?). Is mine not goin to the ignition switch? It has to be goin to the main fuse panel or nothing would have power to run. Heres some pics to show what I mean.

Attachments

• DSC_8741.JPG
    DSC_8741.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 3,717
  • DSC_8740.JPG
    DSC_8740.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 12,244

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
this is how mine is wired. Is there anything wrong with it being wired that way? It seems almost the same except the wires aren't going down to the starter. Or is that possibly causing the flickering lights like the parts guy said? Do I need a fusible link or fuse between the BAT terminal on alt. and the battery's + positive? Gonna redo the wires, but need to know if i should wire it differently. Could it be that the regulator is bad?

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 33,593

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that is fine the way it is wired, the wire that goes to the starter is just the 12 volt wire that excites the alternator to get it to work. Your 12 volts comes from the wire going to the battery which does the same thing. What lights are flickering and do you have an upgraded sound system in the car?

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
every light is flickering. the inteior and headlights, dash lighs. Right now there isn't a radio installed. even with the headlights off. The interior lights flicker just idling and even if you give it a little gas it still does it. If the engines off then there fine. I'll just have to get a new alt. then. Thanks

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
definitely make sure the engine has a good ground strap. also are you sure the alternator is any good or has enough amps to keep up with the draw? some of the stock alt's for the g-bodys were only like 65 amp.

Nod06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2009
Jacktown,ms
while this topic is still fresh :D is there any other way to wire the alternator without using the idiot light wire because i cant even find the bulb or the pink and black wire behind the dash???

Nod06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2009
Jacktown,ms
Yes sir heres my issue my light was working fine let my brother put in a dash I had wrapped no more light I removed the cluster and didnt see it crazy thing is my warning light and my temp light come on but no alt light:,(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor