Need help wiring volt gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I installed a new Painless add on fuse box, simple, even for me. Ran a 20 volt ignition hot wire to my volt gauge, grounded to the firewall. All I get when i turn on the ignition is another blown fuse. WTF am I doing wrong? The box only has 20 volt fuses BTW

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It should have a key hot circuit for the gauges like the OE harness. If they are following GM colors you'll be looking for a pink wired circuit representing the 39 curcuit that powers the gauges. Look at the leads for the gas gauge & tap into the fused power & ground wires as they should have the the fused power, ground, sender signal wires marked as GM did. Don't sound like it's a pain less harness as their name applies.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Which fuse it blowing? That's where the problem is.

What the hell are 20 volt wires and fuses?
You pointed out my error, I should have said 20 amp. At 65 years old and only on my 1st cup of coffee that early in the morning I feel a pass is due. LOL

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Oh boy. Just pull it apart, and double check everything. Unhook it from the gauge, and see if it still blows.
It doesn’t blow till I hook up the gauge. I have a test light that I check the circuit every time I put in a new fuse and it lights.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
use that test light in place of that gauge,if it doesn't blow using the light as "the gauge"then the gauge is @ afault.

• Agree

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
use that test light in place of that gauge,if it doesn't blow using the light as "the gauge"then the gauge is @ afault.
Done that already. Have power at the connection until the gauge gets hooked up. Guess I buy a new gauge. I’m just so inexsperienced at this stuff, I figured I did something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor