Need help with a 1984 cutlass supreme gear not shifting properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooh93

n00b
Feb 21, 2022
Can anyone help me!!!! I have a 1984 cutlass supreme my gear shifter isn’t working properly I have to ram It for it to stay in the gear I want it to go in and my gear is on the column

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sounds to me that your linkage is misadjusted. If everything is original factory, then you'll likely need to do a bit of adjusting. If you keep slamming stuff, you're going to end up damaging something.

Ensure your car is stable, and safe to get under the car. If it's on a lift, even better.

Check your upper bushing, your cross shaft bushing to the frame, and your two transmission linkage bushings where the cross-shaft bend goes into the slots to operate it. If missing or deteriorated/damaged, you'll need to fix that to keep things from being loose and sloppy.

Make the adjustments in NEUTRAL to the shift linkage. Loosen the shift linkage rod going from the column down to the cross shaft. There's a bolt holding a slider on the end of the rod. Just loosen it, don't remove it. Manually place the transmission link on the transmission in neutral. Then make sure the shift lever is in neutral. Then tighten the slider adjustment bolt. The shift linkage rod adjustment bolt is torqued to 28nM per tech manual. (20 lbs-ft). Then using the shift lever, run it through the gears. If it's still hose up, then it may be something is bent or loose.

Here's some info from another thread that may help.

Reactions: 1 users

Pooh93

n00b
Feb 21, 2022
Sounds to me that your linkage is misadjusted. If everything is original factory, then you'll likely need to do a bit of adjusting. If you keep slamming stuff, you're going to end up damaging something.

Ensure your car is stable, and safe to get under the car. If it's on a lift, even better.

Check your upper bushing, your cross shaft bushing to the frame, and your two transmission linkage bushings where the cross-shaft bend goes into the slots to operate it. If missing or deteriorated/damaged, you'll need to fix that to keep things from being loose and sloppy.

Make the adjustments in NEUTRAL to the shift linkage. Loosen the shift linkage rod going from the column down to the cross shaft. There's a bolt holding a slider on the end of the rod. Just loosen it, don't remove it. Manually place the transmission link on the transmission in neutral. Then make sure the shift lever is in neutral. Then tighten the slider adjustment bolt. The shift linkage rod adjustment bolt is torqued to 28nM per tech manual. (20 lbs-ft). Then using the shift lever, run it through the gears. If it's still hose up, then it may be something is bent or loose.

Here's some info from another thread that may help.

Thanks I’ll give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor