Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I seem to be having an issue with my new CS style alternator

Here are the details

THe old alternator was a 70A from a 3.8 Buick motor, it is a SI15 case

The new alternator is from a 94 pontiac transport 3.8 105A CS style.

Dorman makes a 84731 adaptor that allows you to go from SI to CS style like a plug and play adaptor

I now have an alternator that is not putting out the 14.6 v needed.

Any ideas ??

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: Need help with a CS alternator conversion no charge issu

You probably need the adapter that has the resistor inline with the small charge wire. Does your car have the generator charge light?
Or you could go to your local Radio Shack or electronics store and pick up a resistor. I believe the one that comes with the Painless si to cs adapter includes an 85 ohm 5-watt resistor. http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalo ... ield=30707

My charge wire recently went bad, there was also no charge light present. I picked up something like a 68 ohm 2 watt resistor and it seems to be charging fine. I installed it inline off of the alternator brown wire, or "L" lead.

I'm also using a CS130 alternator, 105 amp.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Longroof79 said:
You probably need the adapter that has the resistor inline with the small charge wire. Does your car have the generator charge light?
Or you could go to your local Radio Shack or electronics store and pick up a resistor. I believe the one that comes with the Painless si to cs adapter includes an 85 ohm 5-watt resistor. http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalo ... ield=30707

My charge wire recently went bad, there was also no charge light present. I picked up something like a 68 ohm 2 watt resistor and it seems to be charging fine. I installed it inline off of the alternator brown wire, or "L" lead.

I'm also using a CS130 alternator, 105 amp.

The bulb went bad, geesh huh????

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Toby,
In my case, I took the dash apart and discovered that the bulb was good. The problem was with the small brown charge wire.
There was obviously an open somewhere along the line.
I figured the resistor would replace the generator light in the meantime.
I'll bet your alternator is not sensing the resistance to come on.
You can also do a search on this site and you'll find a few threads discussing this topic.
Good luck!

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Longroof79 said:
Toby,
In my case, I took the dash apart and discovered that the bulb was good. The problem was with the small brown charge wire.
There was obviously an open somewhere along the line.
I figured the resistor would replace the generator light in the meantime.
I'll bet your alternator is not sensing the resistance to come on.
You can also do a search on this site and you'll find a few threads discussing this topic.
Good luck!

She charges 14.7V now!! The CS is really nice. you know all this is true learning by experience. I am glad I have factory manuals and a good friend name brian at Gbodyparts.....lol.....

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Glad to hear that the problem has been rectified. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor