NEED HELP WITH CONTROL ARMS REPLACEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOCOGOMEZ

Greasemonkey
May 19, 2014
Southern IL
Hello all. I am requesting/inquiring assistance with replacement with my control arms on my 86 cutlass supreme. I know there has probably been a thread on this but asking for help. What have you done or suggest on replacing them? By the way using the same stock springs on it. I have tried looking for a video on this but no luck. Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance for your responses and advice.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Theres really not much to it. Put the car on jackstands, take the weight off of the rear. Remove shocks first, unbolt everything else, change what needs to be changed and bolt the shocks back in. Not really difficult. I do suggest an extra set of hands to aid in wiggling stubborn bushings. They get dry and dont like to come out of the frame mounts easily. Just my 2 cents.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Theres really not much to it. Put the car on jackstands, take the weight off of the rear. Remove shocks first, unbolt everything else, change what needs to be changed and bolt the shocks back in. Not really difficult. I do suggest an extra set of hands to aid in wiggling stubborn bushings. They get dry and dont like to come out of the frame mounts easily. Just my 2 cents.
In addition, a good working flashlight is also very helpful while under the car ;).

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Not quite sure what you mean by replacing them, you simply remove the bolts on both ends and install your replacement. If you are talking about replacing the bushings you are going to need a press and make up special tools to press them in and out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

LOCOGOMEZ

Greasemonkey
May 19, 2014
Southern IL
Front, back or both?
Sorry I am wanting to do the front upper and lower control arms. I have the replacement arms with the bushings and tie rod ends already installed. Just want to safely do the job with the pressure of the front spring not being to much of a factor.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The fronts are better known as A arms - good info in thread Pontiacgp posted and as Anubis said in it - leave the shocks in place when undoing the ball joints.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor