Need help with factory Temp gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Bodydude1983

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2018
I have recently been somewhat suspicious that my factory temperature gauge is starting to go bad. my el Camino has a aluminum radiator and new aluminum water pump, when the gauge in the car is showing water temp close to 190 the temperature of the thermostat housing and intake is only around 160 at the most. The gauge also will make very large and drasitc changes in temp often. my question is, if these are signs that the gauge is in-fact inaccurate or going bad with age.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I have recently been somewhat suspicious that my factory temperature gauge is starting to go bad. my el Camino has a aluminum radiator and new aluminum water pump, when the gauge in the car is showing water temp close to 190 the temperature of the thermostat housing and intake is only around 160 at the most. The gauge also will make very large and drasitc changes in temp often. my question is, if these are signs that the gauge is in-fact inaccurate or going bad with age.
I would test the sending unit first. Use an ohm meter one lead connected to the terminal the other lead connected to the case. At low temp the resistance should be high perhaps 500- 600 ohms. put it in a pan of boiling water it should be low about 100 ohms. Might want to watch what it does as it gets hot to see if there is any anomalies.

Also I would check the wire and connector at the sending unit make sure it is clean and the wire is still in good shape. Might need to cut a few inches of wire off and install a new terminal. Solder very preferred over crimp.

When you have eliminated these possible problems then look into the gauge.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I'm not an expert but I've heard that if you service your cooling system, like flushing or replacing a radiator, be sure to purge the system of any air. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor