Need help with my Starter Wires and HEI Plug wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
It's a 1980 El Camino and it had HEI but the Olds V8 required a new Distributor and Starter. I see the giant red wire from the + battery, a small diameter black wire with a large eyelet, and a red wire with fusible links. I assume they all go on the large pole. From the wiring diagram, it looks like there is a purple wire to the distributor....purple being lavender. If that is the case I will have to splice in a connector as that one is cracked and missing a piece of plastic. The ground wire from the - battery terminal grounds to WHERE? I just want to make sure I don't start a wire meltdown when I connect the battery or turn on the ignition. The small terminals on my starter are R and S. Someone please give this old 12 volt idiot a primer that even I can understand. Pictures are sooooo much better than schematics 🤪

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Purple goes to the small stud on the starter, two fusible links (16 AWG) with one with one red wire (12 AWG) & the other with one to two red wires (both 12 AWG) go onto the large stud with the battery cable. The distibutor will have a pink/faded pink wire (12 AWG). Other tha the actual battery cable, there is no black wires involved.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Purple goes to the small stud on the starter, two fusible links (16 AWG) with one with one red wire (12 AWG) & the other with one to two red wires (both 12 AWG) go onto the large stud with the battery cable. The distibutor will have a pink/faded pink wire (12 AWG). Other tha the actual battery cable, there is no black wires involved.

Thank you. That helps a lot. The search for the pink wire is on, and where the black wire with the big eyelet is intended for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor