442 Need help with rear shocks please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Hello G Body buddies. Need some help with rear shocks on my 86 442. The car was lowered so the springs are not original and I don't know what they are. What is in there right now is air shocks and I prefer to use a regular shock if possible. The ones I have right now don't hold air ,so either way I need new shocks. Ty Jim

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I have KYB gas-a-just monotube shocks for mine. Haven't installed them yet, but these are really good shocks from my research and years of selling parts.

Reactions: 1 user

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
I have KYB gas-a-just monotube shocks for mine. Haven't installed them yet, but these are really good shocks from my research and years of selling parts.
Ty . I have used KYB in the past and always liked them. I'm just wondering if the I need a particular shock since it's been lowered??

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Ty . I have used KYB in the past and always liked them. I'm just wondering if the I need a particular shock since it's been lowered??
How much did you drop it? I’m going down 2 in the rear, at least 2 in the front and using the regular replacement shock

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
My T-type is relatively low and rides great with bilsteins:
86 t-type side s.JPG

Last time I took it for a long drive, I drove it 700+ miles in a day, averaging over 75 mph on some relatively rough midwestern highways and had no complaints about the ride and it didn't "bottom" once.

Reactions: 8 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the spring are short you may need short shock or the springs will fall out when you jack up the car. I have Bilstein AK1052 in the rear

Reactions: 1 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
if the spring are short you may need short shock or the springs will fall out when you jack up the car. I have Bilstein AK1052 in the rear
So your telling me that installing the new springs isn't going to to be too bad?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor