need help with some donor car info

Status
Not open for further replies.

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
ok guys... i have a chance to pick up a 84 firebird with a 4spd auto and a 3:73 posi rear end. what i would like to know is how much of this car can i use for my malibu? rear end, floor shift, console, suspension parts, etc etc.... any info would be great

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
1984 was not a great year for GM drivetrains.
The 700-R4 prior to 1987 had a weak pump, but if your motor is stock, and the fluid is good, you could use it with a vacuum lock-up kit. Need to shorten the G-body driveshaft 3". Obtain a Jegs or Summit crossmember for the 700-R4.
If it has a 10-bolt axle, the guts will swap to your 7.5 with no changes. Disc bakes can be made to work if it had them.
Front sway bar will swap. Rear lower control arms will swap, I think.
Power steering box is an upgrade if it has the square top with four bolts and yours has the round top. Can't remember if the pitman arm is the same. There may be a power steering cooler line you can use.
Front seats will swap onto your slider brackets. Console may exchange with modifications. Shifter will work using the stock cable. You could swap the handbrake in with a little engineering of the cables.
Front springs may swap, no idea whether they would be an improvement over your stock ones.
Manifolds are the same, but the Y-pipe is all wrong. If the muffler is recent, it and the tail pipes could be reworked with a bit of welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor