need help with wiring a LED to my fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

the82elco

Apprentice
Jul 24, 2012
California
ok i got a 12v led light to run to my fans so i no when they come on. i wired the light up to the power wire on my fan & grounded the other inside the car when i did that the led was lit up with the car off / how do i get it to come on only when the fans come on??
im also have a override switch

> this is the led
> the fan controller

Attachments

• 259-16759.jpg
    259-16759.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 450
  • uu.jpg
    uu.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 431

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
just splice it into the wire that powers the fans and ground the other side. That way when the fan is getting power to turn on the light will come on.

84clonewars

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
pontiacgp said:
just splice it into the wire that powers the fans and ground the other side. That way when the fan is getting power to turn on the light will come on.

X2

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you might also want to consider a by pass switch to put in your dash so if for some reason the thermal switch stops working or you just want to run the fan

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
It sounds like your fan controller is a ground control switch. If you wired the LED to the positive side of the fan power and grounded the other end of the LED and it is always on that means the positive side is "hot" to the battery and the fan controller actually controls the fan by grounding the circuit to engage fans.

In that case you need to wire led so that the ground wire is on the fan side of the fan switch not a frame ground. Most temp fan switches are open when cold and closed when hot which turns on the fan.

the82elco

Apprentice
Jul 24, 2012
California
CWPottenger said:
It sounds like your fan controller is a ground control switch. If you wired the LED to the positive side of the fan power and grounded the other end of the LED and it is always on that means the positive side is "hot" to the battery and the fan controller actually controls the fan by grounding the circuit to engage fans.

In that case you need to wire led so that the ground wire is on the fan side of the fan switch not a frame ground. Most temp fan switches are open when cold and closed when hot which turns on the fan.
thanks! i got it working now :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor