Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2020
Hey guys I have a 1988 Monte Carlo SS . I jus Ls swapped months ago . The other day I moved the car to my front yard and when I had turned it off everything was good . I come back to move the car a few hours later and when I turned it off the motor was still cranking . The key wasn’t in the ignition or nothing and it was still cranking . So I checked the car to make sure no wires were touching or any wires burned and everything was okay . So I thought maybe bad starter I changed out the starter and same things sadly :/ . A lot of other g body owner I know have been telling maybe my ignition is stuck since it’s a old car it can happen. But idk I jus wanted to get on here n see what you guys have to say or maybe someone has experienced this .

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I had a similar problem when I swapped motors from my 305 to the newer vortec from 96 motor was from a 4x4 and the starter was new but it would do the same thing and continue to kick, my dad took it out and took it apart and If I remember correctly it was the spring had/was too sprung so when it released pressure it to kick out it couldn't recompress so it stayed engaged spinning

Mar 12, 2020
I had a similar problem when I swapped motors from my 305 to the newer vortec from 96 motor was from a 4x4 and the starter was new but it would do the same thing and continue to kick, my dad took it out and took it apart and If I remember correctly it was the spring had/was too sprung so when it released pressure it to kick out it couldn't recompress so it stayed engaged spinning
Which spring are we taking about ? In the starter ?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
gordon ramsay cooking GIF by Hell's Kitchen

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Dude - do you own a test light or meter? We'll assume you do.

Pull off the purple wire to the small stud on the starter (of course after unhooking the batteries) and then hook up the battery and see if there is power on that wire. It would be neice to have a meter and see if it has B+ (battery voltage) or less than B+. I highly doubt you have another 'bad starter' and the third one will be the charm.

If you have voltage on the purple wire regardless of key position, then you have a switch issue or a heavy short issue.

p.s - Fleming - your meme made me smile ALOT

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor