Need input on carb..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean.monte.87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
Having an issue where under WOT the car likes to bog and chug, it also idles higher in P and N if that helps any. I originally suspected a bad trans clutch but now I'm almost certain its losing power do to fuel starvation. I have ran it without the fuel filter hoping that was the issue but it wasnt.I have some pictures of the carb (quadrajet) but the previous owner Mickey mouse it. . I know the choke pump on the side has something to do with secondaries opening under wot but mine is blocked off.. also the choke has basically been removed. Take a gander at the pictures and feel free to give a new fellow some input. I've been chasing and fixing issues ( mostly minor) since day one. But I heard when it comes to carbs you dont touch them if you dont know what your doing.

Attachments

• 20200503_211550.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 160
  • 20200503_211608.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 173
  • 20200503_211616.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 157
  • 20200503_211628.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 163
  • 20200503_211640.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 159

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My opinion would be rebuild it & replace everything missing to make it run right. Keep in mind that's looking like an mid '70's carb so you'll need to get the carb number off the rear drivers side of it to get the right rebuild kit & to have an idea of any other items needed. Then you'll need to track a Elderbrock cover (p/n 8901) for the hot air port for the choke pipes to go into, a thermostatic choke spring kit to be able to use the choke again.
Edelbrock 8901
1588629322903.png

Mean.monte.87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
My opinion would be rebuild it & replace everything missing to make it run right. Keep in mind that's looking like an mid '70's carb so you'll need to get the carb number off the rear drivers side of it to get the right rebuild kit & to have an idea of any other items needed. Then you'll need to track a Elderbrock cover (p/n 8901) for the hot air port for the choke pipes to go into, a thermostatic choke spring kit to be able to use the choke again.
Edelbrock 8901
View attachment 145009
I'm actually planning on just replacing the entire carb with an edelbrock soon. But until then I was wondering if maybe that choke hose that is blocked off could he reconnected to make the car drive better? No point in rebuilding an older shitty carb when I can just replace it right?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm actually planning on just replacing the entire carb with an edelbrock soon. But until then I was wondering if maybe that choke hose that is blocked off could he reconnected to make the car drive better? No point in rebuilding an older shitty carb when I can just replace it right?
Won't work as your's is a divorce choke that either will need the thermostaic choke or a manual choke with a cable running into car (needing to put uneeded holes in firewall.)

Mean.monte.87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
Won't work as your's is a divorce choke that either will need the thermostaic choke or a manual choke with a cable running into car (needing to put uneeded holes in firewall.)
So basically, until I replace it, shes going to run like *ss? I guess I'll have to accept that. Under normal conditions it's fine. But WOT it bogs. Is what your talking about the cause of that?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So basically, until I replace it, shes going to run like *ss? I guess I'll have to accept that. Under normal conditions it's fine. But WOT it bogs. Is what your talking about the cause of that?
It could be a factor but not being able to see it happen I can't give a yes or no.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
besides agreeing with the others to rebuild and put a proper choke on it this lever and lock pin may be preventing your the secondary butterflies from opening

carb-lok-jpg.145032

Mean.monte.87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
Alright guys. So after changing the sending unit, carb filter, reattaching some blocked off vacuum lines and replacing some that were completely shot. It runs like it's supposed to, goes into overdrive like it's supposed to and drives right. It still has a high idle in P and N and still diesels/ is a b*tch to start but those are minor lol

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
Alright guys. So after changing the sending unit, carb filter, reattaching some blocked off vacuum lines and replacing some that were completely shot. It runs like it's supposed to, goes into overdrive like it's supposed to and drives right. It still has a high idle in P and N and still diesels/ is a b*tch to start but those are minor lol

sounds like too much timing, you need to back it off some!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor