Need Low Tension Hood Hinges For Fiberglass Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2008
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
I replace the stock hood on my 87 442 with a 2 1/2" fiberglass cowl induction. The hood still uses the front latch and rear hinges but I could not re-install the factory hood lift/spring as it places so much pressure on the hood that is will break the hood. I hate the idea of using a prop rod - I just do not like how is looks at car shows.

Does anyone make a low tension spring for these hood lifts or is there another design out there I could use?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Could you build an aluminum brace (1/4"+ thick) across the underside of the hood to strenghthen the hinges/fiberglass?

86MonteLS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2008
Lima, OH
I'm interested in this too so I know what I'm in for when I install my 4" fiberglass cowl

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
http://www.up22.com/malibu78.htm

i know they make them for the buick and malibu hoods, but i really do not know if all them hood springs are the same, but give them a call once and see if they have them for a cutlass.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
tippys87442 said:
I replace the stock hood on my 87 442 with a 2 1/2" fiberglass cowl induction. The hood still uses the front latch and rear hinges but I could not re-install the factory hood lift/spring as it places so much pressure on the hood that is will break the hood. I hate the idea of using a prop rod - I just do not like how is looks at car shows.

Does anyone make a low tension spring for these hood lifts or is there another design out there I could use?

I'd like to see a pic of your car with the hood on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor