need more "go" trans options needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
I have been working on a 78 caballero
SBC, long tube headers, edelbrock intake manifold, 650 cfm carb, mild cam, stamped roller rockers
Metric tans
When I bought it the car felt solid engine sounded and felt like it was hitting right but the trans didn't seem to like to kick down and the rear end I just assumed was a freeway gear as it really didn't feel like any of the lower end torque was getting to the ground.
When I pulled the rear end last week I was shocked to discover that the rear end had posi and 373
So now Im thinking trans and torque converter options.
would a manual shift pressure plate kit
higher stall torque converter
and adjusting the kick down a bit better get that 4r200 get me better lower end pull
or would swapping it for a different trans be the only way to get that lower end grunt?
700r4?
th350?
4l60?
This wont ever be a highway car, I work 1 mile from home and it wont see any thing over 60mph for any significant time..
I apologize, Im coming off as a rookie here. I have done plenty of tweak and swapping but never paid much attention to gear ratios or trans/torque converter matching

It sounds like you have an improperly adjusted TV cable. If you have a 200-4r 4 speed OD transmission, getting the TV cable properly adjusted is critical to transmission life. An improperly adjusted cable will burn up a transmission in just a few miles of driving. The geometry of the bracket where it attaches to the carb is also critical. Since you changed your carb, I hope you also changed the throttle bracket for one designed for the 200-4r. I would 1) make sure you have the right throttle bracket 2) properly adjust your TV cable. If after this, you still have issues, it may be that the trans is in need of repair. Look here for more info: http://www.tvmadeez.com/

As for switching to another trans, the 200-4r is one of the best for performance. It is light, has good gear ratios, and can be built to withstand lots of power. If you are not drag racing the car, then it should be a great trans. If you do get to needing repair, look into a Torque Converter with a stall of around 2000, if you want more performance from a start. The higher stall allows the engine to rev faster from idle, getting it into it's power band sooner. A low stall TC can cause the engine to bog down a little until the revs can climb past the stall. I wouldn't go much higher for a daily driver, as it increases engine temps (slippage) and can reduce mileage.

If by "metric trans" you mean either a TH200 or TH250, I'd just look for a TH350 as a replacement. I'd be shocked if you can't find a good used one that already has an upgraded converter and a shift kit for under $250.

If it is a 2004R with 3.73, it should launch strong. I have a 7.8 to 1 76 Olds 350 with a Performer cam, stock 1800 rpm stall and 3.42 gears. I do have the unversial cable adjusted as tight as possible, it shifts at 4800 rpm. Burns one tire very easily. It ran mid 15's running rich with my coil crapping out.

I thought 200-r4 and metric trans was the same thing?
I wasn't the one that did the carb swap and trans cable looks jankey so I would be very surprised if that is any where close to correct.
I guess a higher stall torque converter and shift kit wouldn't be a bad idea, I just assumed this trans was an econo slush box not worth the time and effort.
Any info on how to adjust the cable or is it all trial and error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor