Need new brakes what are my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
I have a 84 Cutlass and still has the factory style brakes. I have wagner thermo quite pads in the front and they stop good but constantly squeak. I would like to upgrade my front brakes but I have a strict budget. What are my options thanks in advance?

burgundy83

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2010
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm just about through my set of Delco ceramic pads, had them for almost 2 years, no problems at all. Quiet and work great, and cheap, something like $40 regular price.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have used EBC brake pads for the last few years and they have saved me some front end damage. They are the best pads I have tried and won't use any others I have friend who use them in their vehicles and they have the same opinion of them as I do. I can lock up my wheels at over 100 mph and they don't fade. You just have to make sure you break them in properly

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
factory sized wheels? or larger... you can do the blazer setup (dual piston calipers) up front, or if bigger wheels, you can do an ls1/vette upgrade...

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
pontiacgp said:
I have used EBC brake pads for the last few years and they have saved me some front end damage. They are the best pads I have tried and won't use any others I have friend who use them in their vehicles and they have the same opinion of them as I do. I can lock up my wheels at over 100 mph and they don't fade. You just have to make sure you break them in properly
I have been thinking about trying those pads but need to figure out my squeak noise first. I have the Wagner ceramic pads now. I removed them to inspect a annoying brake squeak but noticed nothing wrong. While driving low speeds through town while not applying the brakes I get a squeak noise from the right front wheel. It goes away when I press the pedal and comes back if I a bump or make a right turn. I took apart the right front side brakes and replaced the rotor, caliper and wheel bearings. I torqued the bearings to 12 ft lbs while spinning the rotor. And the squeak is still there. I bleed the brakes several times and no air in the lines. It just seems like the right side front brakes are hanging up. Anyone have a clue what could be wrong?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
ZZ4CutlaSS said:
I have been thinking about trying those pads but need to figure out my squeak noise first. I have the Wagner ceramic pads now. I removed them to inspect a annoying brake squeak but noticed nothing wrong. While driving low speeds through town while not applying the brakes I get a squeak noise from the right front wheel. It goes away when I press the pedal and comes back if I a bump or make a right turn. I took apart the right front side brakes and replaced the rotor, caliper and wheel bearings. I torqued the bearings to 12 ft lbs while spinning the rotor. And the squeak is still there. I bleed the brakes several times and no air in the lines. It just seems like the right side front brakes are hanging up. Anyone have a clue what could be wrong?
Does the car pull at all when you apply the brakes? My daily driver (97 Cavalier) has a squeak in the left front also. Im not sure what it is but the brakes are new. When I had a squeak in the monte it was a partially seized caliper in the right front so look at that. Now the rear of my Monte pulls out left when I hit the brakes :blam:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you check the wear sensor to make sure it isn't bent and touching the rotor? or it could be a pad is loose and it's vibrating

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Thanks guys for the help greatly appreciate it. I just went to a yard today and picked up steering knuckles and brake assemblies from a 99 2wd blazer. Next is to find C5 calipers and 17 inch rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor