need new carb for semi daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I am looking to replace the carb on my 81 wagon. car currently has a grungy non electronic quadrajet. it has started to seep gas at the base gasket. I do not know the origins of the carb since it came with the car.
current drivetrain is 1987 305 h.o. and a th350. I will be replacing the motor come spring time with a 94 350 interceptor motor and either a 2004r or 700r4.

I will need a carb that will work on well on both motors.
my buddy is swearing by the quadrajets. my dad is suggesting the demon road demon jr 625 cfm . kinda torn between which to go with.

demon 625cfm
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-4 ... /overview/

summit quadrajet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-210200/overview/

also how do I hook up the gm kickdown or tv cable to the ford style kick down?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Why not just service the original carb? It worked well before? Even if you have a shop do it, just make sure you get that exact same carb back again, not one off the shelf.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
finding a shop in my area is the hard part. a lot of the shops have closed up due to retirement and the economy. no real reputable guys around my area. my buddy had one rebuilt about about 2 weeks ago and had to have it redone .

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How about you? It's mostly cleaning. Plus it's a valuable skill to know.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I could give it a shot but cant risk the car being down for too long. that is why I want a ready to go unit. last quadrajet I played with about 12 years ago was more work then it was worth.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I will try contacting everyday performance tomarrow . hopefully he can cut a better deal then what is listed on the site. summits are cheaper and free shipping

I will look up custom rebuilt carbs also and contact them.

this is something I would like to have in my hands by the 13th. I am going to guess since everyone is defending the quadrajet that seems to be the better choice to purchase either way.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When you realize that GM installed zillions of Q-jets on their cars, you gotta figure they knew a good thing. I for one use them on everything from 301's to 455's, and once you learn them, you can adapt them to whatever your goals are. Definitely talk to Ken, I'm sure he can build you a carb that will work well on both motors. He does a superb job.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I am going to agree with Bonnewagon. The Quadra Jet gets a bad rep because people don't know what to do with them. I have rebuilt them and had great luck. I They are one of the most versatile Carbs out there and with proper tuning, can run better than aything out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor