HELP Need Pinion Seal Installation Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
I installed a new National 8610 pinion seal in the 10 bolt rear end of our '83 El Camino project three days ago. The car is still in pieces, so its just been sitting in the garage. Today, there is a thin coating of gear oil on the bottom of the differential housing. It appears that the new seal is seeping. This was my first attempt at replacing a pinion seal, so I'm guessing I did something wrong. Before I slip the seal over the pinion, I gave it a thin coat of oil so the seal would not stick/snag. Then, I lightly tapped the outer edge of the seal with a brass hammer, alternating sides, until the seal was seated in the rear end snout. Did I miss something? Is there a better way to install the seal? I don't mind doing the job again, I just don't want it to fail again. I appreciate any advice you guys can share. Thanks!

John

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I always use a tool (socket, bearing driver, seal installer) to distribute an even load. Make sure the yoke isn’t worn or damaged too. It wouldn’t hurt to verify that you have the correct seal. I bought a ratech rebuild kit for an 82 7.5 once, and was only able to use like half the kit because of the whole metric/standard thing.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Two things: I always use a sealer on the outer circumference of the seal where it seats in the carrier. Permatex Aviation is very good. Then I also use some Permatex Ultra Black on the yoke/splined shaft where the pinion shaft sticks out. Especially right under the big washer. Oil can migrate down the splines and seep out behind the washer/nut.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Two things: I always use a sealer on the outer circumference of the seal where it seats in the carrier. Permatex aviation is very good. Then I also use some Permatex Ultra Black on the yoke/splined shaft where the pinion shaft sticks out. Especially right under the big washer. Oil can migrate down the splines and seep out behind the washer/nut.
This is how I do it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor