need pricing help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Hi everyone. i bought this 1978 Pontiac Grand Lemans Landau top car from a friend, it has too much rust can't be put back on road. A friend of mine has a really low mileage green on green grand lemans landau top also. but the previous owner removed the ac box and everything (He said it froze?) Maybe he tried to put r134a in it. So he wants the one from this car. what's a complete unit worth??? Haven't found much on ebay / etc for complete units. Only gutted boxes.

If anyone else needs parts. I am parting the car out. Jugs are available.
View the FOR SALE thread here LOOK HERE FOR PARTS.

20210808_144052.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was trying to sell one last fall in the Detroit area after stripping the 86' Monte SS I had it was still in the car and I posted it on FB and CL for a $100 or best offer never even got an inquiry in the 3 weeks I had it up so it went with the shell.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i bought one from a yard for $30.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
What I would say is tell the guy "make a list of everything you want, YOU REMOVE, and make me an offer..."

Maybe he wants the condenser? Compressor? Brackets? Accumulator/dryer? Ductwork? Vacuum lines/controls?

There's a lot more parts that could be of value then just the black composite shell there, and, if you can avoid needing to do the work...

Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
What I would say is tell the guy "make a list of everything you want, YOU REMOVE, and make me an offer..."

Maybe he wants the condenser? Compressor? Brackets? Accumulator/dryer? Ductwork? Vacuum lines/controls?

There's a lot more parts that could be of value then just the black composite shell there, and, if you can avoid needing to do the work...
I don't mind doing the work, Being unemployed atm. Gives me something to do and I can learn about these cars. Besides my 1979 I own this is the only other one i have. (atm). :)

I saw on eBay some Gutted Shells w/o evap etc going up to $230. I assume if the previous owner just removed the stuff on the eng bay side He should still have all the duct work inside.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't mind doing the work, Being unemployed atm. Gives me something to do and I can learn about these cars. Besides my 1979 I own this is the only other one i have. (atm). :)

I saw on eBay some Gutted Shells w/o evap etc going up to $230. I assume if the previous owner just removed the stuff on the eng bay side He should still have all the duct work inside.
If you decide to remove the shell you'll understand why many owners break things removing it when they plan of putting a cover on the firewall and not having one of these anymore.

The problem with those eBay listings is 1) many times it involves selling to someone who lives in a land without junkyards and parts cars; 2) listings can be up for years without selling but showing a premium price; and 3) not every "sale" leads to money changing hands.

Part of that price also covers the PITA to crate it up, and, that many will be broken in route with eBay buyer protection saying you get $0.

I'm not local to you, but, I'll echo what 565bbchevy said... they can be a tough sell. I've thrown many away because they just took up too much space to be worthwhile. Unless it's a high dollar restoration car many guys replacing the firewall stuff in a car that was gutted just piece together an improved aftermarket setup.

If someone offered me $50 for a case, or $100 for a used setup from condenser to evap with case I'd grab the money quick and run.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Informative

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
My AC airbox cost me $65 at a local "pick a part" type of yard. They are easy to break if you have never removed one before. They remove the easiest when you pull the lower windshield chrome, and remove the dash and ducting first. You might also find it easier if you remove the right front tire and inner fender, although it may not be necessary.
IF, you remove the dash --- 5 bolts + 4 screws for most gbodies (1 extra bolt for Cutlass dashes), do a search for gbody dash removal videos.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Thanks all for the replies. He did send me a video showing his is intact? So now i am stumped on what he actually needs. :unsure:

On the other topic. Only 1-2 junkyards around anymore who accept pre-1985 vehicles and those that are around usually get crushed. a lot of guys around here just buy brand new aftermarket vs used or nos parts. But on MY hand since i own the "b*st*rd" Pontiac's... lol! Lemans practically nothing is available aftermarket so i have to buy used or NOS. Usually, i just fork out for NOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor