Need shift cable clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I recently purchased a new shift cable and transmission bracket from Mike's Monte's. It was for an 86 200-4r. Mike does not have the clip I need or can guide me where to get one, so I am asking here. Does anyone know where I can get this clip? The Buick, Olds, Pontiac clip does not work as it is too small.

Thank you in advance

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If your original clips are too small, then you have the incorrect cable for your application. It may fit and function, but it wasn't made to exactly replace your part. Who made the part? Does both of your original clips not fit? What part number did you buy? Was there something that says you needed to slightly modify the cable mounts to accept the factory clips?

And, not for nothing because I've always had good luck with Mike's Montes, if a vendor is selling sh*t that everyone KNOWS doesn't actually fit their application, they should at least sell you the clips or tell you how to get it to fit. I mean, I can sell you a Cadillac shift cable that will clip in both ends, but it won't really fit. Same end result as you have now.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I went and looked and only saw one 200-4R cable and it's the adjustable one. Personally, I would use something that actually was the correct length already. It may be heavy duty, but with that seems like the clips would need to be heavy duty.

Did you try rockauto or any manufacturers of aftermarket replacements like Pioneer or ATP?

Only other options I see are modify your existing cable clips (HTF new from GM as they're discontinued for a long time. GM P/N 470779. G-body parts' version is repro) to fit, which I don't recommend. Or, you could find some spring clips to fit the slots on the new cable.

I'd check with these guys and see what size they are compared to your new cable slot sizes. These appear that they would spread out and clamp the thing a bit easier than factory straight spring clips. But now you're into modifying crap so anything could go.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Just throwing this out there...Have you tried a brake hose retaining clip? AutoZone Napa etc. has them for under $5.00 and could be modified if need be.
Looking on line at the design they seem very similar.
B-2814A.jpg

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Eyeballed the pic of the suggested substitute and it does look remarkably like what holds the rear brake flex line to the crossmember on my G-Body Monte. Not sure here but it could also be what gets used in a B-body as well. Seem to recall scoring mine from my local body shop supplier some time ago. Only difference I can think of might be the thickness of the clip; the brake version is designed to pin a hose assembly to a frame after all.

Nick

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC, the cable clip has a larger span than the brake clips so the legs are longer and further spaced than the brake clips. But it's been a while. Also a different part number. I cannot be positive about that, however, since I'm going on memory.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
IIRC, the cable clip has a larger span than the brake clips so the legs are longer and further spaced than the brake clips. But it's been a while. Also a different part number. I cannot be positive about that, however, since I'm going on memory.
I believe you are correct. If I can locate the shifter and cable from my El Camino later today I could verify the fit. I know the console was sold with a bunch of interior parts years ago but I have to look to see if the shifter and cable are still around.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Just throwing this out there...Have you tried a brake hose retaining clip? AutoZone Napa etc. has them for under $5.00 and could be modified if need be.
Looking on line at the design they seem very similar.
View attachment 171718
I will give this a shot
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor