Need shift linkage bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Not sure what they are called but the bushings that take up the slack from the transmission shift bracket to the frame mounted pivot thing that moves the column.
Here is a picture.
shift linkage bushing.jpg

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
OK, So here is more info. It's on a 83 Hurst Olds but I'm sure it's on a lot more cars.
I had noticed my shift indicator in the dash wasn't lining up like it should and also the steering collar wasn't always in the right spot to allow the ignition switch to move if I tried to start in neutral. So I figured I had to adjust my Lightning Rods a little. When I got under the car half of one of the bushings fell out in my hand. That explains the slack. Any part numbers or NOS parts would be great.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Parts whisperer showed up and floated some info my way. I've been hesitant to go find my shift levers for MW9 console, to look at the number directly because that would be time consuming. Grommet...grommet....can find green ones...wtf? Gotta start thinking like GM- same part, so we'll call it something else...it magically is called a bushing, Group 4.046. Who'd have thunk it?

Do not get the green ones that are out there. They are for Toronados and some other stuff. I don't know what else they fit. But they're a tad too big for the MW9 lever. They can be made to work, but it's better to find something else. Ask me how I know.

The lever itself, if you can find one NOS, comes with the bushings installed. The lever is part number 10026214. Hard to find these.

So, they do have a "bushing" listed. I wasted 15 minutes looking for a "grommet". GM called them by both names. In fact, on the B body for the shift rod column bushing, it's the same part number for 4 entries in a row, and the first 3 were "bushing" and the last one was "insulator". WTF?

The grommet or ahem, BUSHING p/n you seek is 10021797. You will need 2, obviously. They're discontinued, thus kinda hard to find, obviously. There's some on ebay… good luck.

BTW, check your cross rod (back drive) lever bushing on the frame end to make sure it's in good shape too. If you need that, the p/n is 1377083. They make those in aftermarket as well, so they should be easy to find.

Reactions: 2 users

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Thanks a lot. I'll do some searching.
I should expect things to wear out with the high mileage I have, (25K)......😁🍻
I'm lucky.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Looks like the oil got them, softened them up and dissolved. They should be pliable plastic.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
I bought 2 bushings off eBay. 1 from one and 1 from another. About $25 total. They have other vendors asking 35 each plus shipping. Robbers in plain site. Somebody arrest them. I have not installed them yet.
Thanks to the people with the part numbers so we can find what we need.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor