Need some advice on fuel leak (79 cutlass)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
thanks, glad to be here. ill post some pics up soon or send if possible. "shift quadrant" thanks for that do you know what the "s" and "L" stand for by any chance? so when i start her up and shes revving high, when i then give a little gas and it goes back to normal idle is normal then right? sorry if i dont make much sense still learning the language. yeah i just figured that out about it not being a ring but i swear i can see some little gasket/ring not sure what to call it...
your car has a three speed automatic transmission. from a stop in D, drive, your vehicle starts in first gear and automatically shifts to second and then third. when placed in S, second, from a stop, it will start in first and then shift to second. it will not shift to third. L, low acts the same way, it will stay in first gear.

as for the idle, yes this is normal, fast idle allows the engine to stay running when cold and helps warm the engine up faster. no different than todays electronically controlled engines, it just done mechanically. there are several steps in the linkage between cold and warm. when you get a chance, remove the air cleaner assembly and play with the choke and throttle to learn more. just be careful, every time you open the throttle, a small amount of fuel is spayed into the carb by the accelerator pump. its possible to flood the engine with the fuel, causing it not to start.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor