Need some advice sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
Hello, I’m looking for a little bit of advice. I was given a motor that had been sitting outside for a few months and got some cylinder wall pitting on two cylinders( down to 80 psi compression after rebuild)After taking it apart and having a few people look at it, I was told everything looked new to just put it back together and have fun and enjoy it considering it was free. I got it back together and sounds good running around the neighborhood. I’m ready to bring it to a local track. My question is based of what I listed what recommendations do you guys have for things such as timing and rev limits.

I acquired this information when I was rebuilding the motor

Arp head studs

Mls head gaskets

Scat h beam rods

kB pistons ( I believe .20 over)

Scat sfi flex plate

Speed master rod bolts

ARP main cap bolts

Scat crank 9000 crank

Speed master roller rockers .60

Speed master pushrods

Howard lifters

Dart rocker retainers

Lunati stud girdle

Prw rocker arm studs

Professional products hurricane intake

Holley 750 dp

Iron eagle heads 200cc

Cam ( no idea)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not enough info to supply you anything other than a guess.

If you're on pump gas, then start at 34 degrees of timing and make jumps in 2 degree increments until your speed at the line tails off or levels off.

READ THE PLUGS after each run on the unknown entity.

Reactions: 1 user

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
Not enough info to supply you anything other than a guess.

If you're on pump gas, then start at 34 degrees of timing and make jumps in 2 degree increments until your speed at the line tails off or levels off.

READ THE PLUGS after each run on the unknown entity.
Will do! Thank you for the advice, do you have any recommendation for a generally safe reasonable rev limit?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No idea with what you've supplied.

If it's a flat tappet cam and you have enough valve spring pressure, then 7000rpm's is safe. But if your cam, heads, exhaust, intake aren't up to the task, then perhaps 5500 is all it will run. SBC's are air flow limited as compared to modern stuff. Your Iron Eagles will probably be able to run 6500.

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl

If it's a flat tappet cam and you have enough valve spring pressure, then 7000rpm's is safe. But if your cam, heads, exhaust, intake aren't up to the task, then perhaps 5500 is all it will run. SBC's are air flow limited as compared to modern stuff. Your Iron Eagles will probably be able to run 6500. Minutes

If it's a flat tappet cam and you have enough valve spring pressure, then 7000rpm's is safe. But if your cam, heads, exhaust, intake aren't up to the task, then perhaps 5500 is all it will run. SBC's are air flow limited as compared to modern stuff. Your Iron Eagles will probably be able to run 6500.
At least I have a place to start at, I’m still learning and also asked a few other people more knowledgeable that me. Everyone said the same as you. That I can probably rev it out to 7000 safely and 6500 no problem i figured I just split the difference and go in the middle. I’m only running 1/8 mile with a th350 hopefully it works out for me.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your MPH at the stripe will let you know. I.E, if you make the 1st-2nd shift at 5500 one run, then 6000 on the next you should have an idea if and when it starts or stops making power.

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Cam? Compression ratio? Intake? You can spin it 10,000 Rpm but if you don't have the proper parts there's no use then ,them rockers are a bad choice alteast for any long period of time. Heads are great heads ,rods and crank will live fine at 7000-7500 (Ive done 8500ish on same parts but not recommended) ,don't not cheap out on valve springs and make sure your spring pressures are correct for your cam, those KB pistons don't handle alot of abuse ,my opinion is the pistons and rockers will be your weakness (motor wise)

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
Thanks for all the input and help everyone, I’ll be giving it my first test hits at the end of the month, I also have a 2-step that I have to set, I figured find out where I start to push threw the brakes and go from there. Or should I start at a lower number and increase until it spins off the line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor