Need some G body experience help assessing the price of this car

Trader history for azmusclecar (0)

Turbo Zach

Turbo Zach

Royal Smart Person
Sep 8, 2015
Once you buy a okish car, you will find the car you really wanted. That's how that works.

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Greasemonkey
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
Once you buy a okish car, you will find the car you really wanted. That's how that works.
PREACH IT Brother...................that's the truth..............:giggle:

Turbo Zach

Turbo Zach

Royal Smart Person
Sep 8, 2015
PREACH IT Brother...................that's the truth..............:giggle:
I bought a yellow 80 Monte before I bought my black one. I got tired of waiting for the seller to get back to me on the black one. That car looked nice, but was a basket case. I cruised it all summer and sold it in the fall for 500 more bucks than I paid for it when I bought my black one. I did trade some parts off the yellow one for lesser quality ones before I sold it. So the black car got the best of the two. The black car is the car I wanted my hole life. I will sell it though for a low low price of 12000;)

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Greasemonkey
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
I bought a yellow 80 Monte before I bought my black one. I got tired of waiting for the seller to get back to me on the black one. That car looked nice, but was a basket case. I cruised it all summer and sold it in the fall for 500 more bucks than I paid for it when I bought my black one. I did trade some parts off the yellow one for lesser quality ones before I sold it. So the black car got the best of the two. The black car is the car I wanted my hole life. I will sell it though for a low low price of 12000;)
Thanks for the offer but that is way out of my budget. If I can sell a kidney on EBay I may have enough to buy it. Seriously, I know my budget will limit
my choices but I have been on top of the mountain in my years of life owning a brand new Corvette several times. But the cars were so nice, I was afraid to drive them for the first door ding and rock chip and so forth. I need a car that resembles me. Not new, but old, in good shape but can use some work.
I just sold my 1966 Pontiac Tempest that had an OHC6 in it (do your google) and I modified it to have a 4 barrel and dual exhaust and 4 speed even with a bench seat. I added power steering and upgraded the suspension and wheels and tires and on and on and on.....and sadly on the way home from a car show, the OHC 6 cylinder rang the death nell and began to lose power and more and I realized, the maintained 70 mph had burnt some valves.
The sad news is, no machine shop wants to do the head, and to buy one is cost prohibitive. So the value of the car dropped havign to sell a special car
with not only rust issues, but now with a basically unusable engine or boat anchors as they are called.

From my listing of $11,700.................i humbly accepted $8500 for it.......licked my wounds and slinked off to my room for a good crying jag.

So, I lost a good chunk of change from the deal. I enjoyed the car but the market for OHC6's is very very very weak. And the ability to get
parts is very very very hard. But, I wanted something different.

So now......my budget is much much smaller and I really need to be diligent in what I look at and decide to buy. There's a nice 1986 442 down in Phoenix for $10000. But that is not the car I want nor the price I wish to pay. I just need to stay the course and see what comes my way. and NOT take the OK'ish
car and hope to be happy with it, as stated earlier.

I am sure many have stories such as mine...........so there's a brotherhood of us that have walked the same path.

Turbo Zach

Turbo Zach

Royal Smart Person
Sep 8, 2015
I was not happy with the OK'ish car either. My car is not really for sale, unless someone wants it worse than I do. I gave 4000 for it three years ago. To me that was a lot of money for a Monte, but it is the nicest one I have found in Iowa with the options I desired. Be patient and you will find the right car. Maybe having something shipped would be a good option if you can not find it locally.

fleming442

fleming442

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 26, 2013
The sad news is, no machine shop wants to do the head, and to buy one is cost prohibitive. So the value of the car dropped havign to sell a special car with not only rust issues, but now with a basically unusable engine or boat anchors as they are called.
WTH, you couldn't find a machine shop to do it? That should have been gravy for them: guides, seats, deck, and maybe valves?
It does sound like a neat car; it's a shame you got beat up on it. It'll end up with an LS swap, now.

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Greasemonkey
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
WTH, you couldn't find a machine shop to do it? That should have been gravy for them: guides, seats, deck, and maybe valves?
It does sound like a neat car; it's a shame you got beat up on it. It'll end up with an LS swap, now.
To really learn and know about the OHC6 cylinder of the 66-69 era, it takes a knowledgeable machine shop to be able to do
a good job or rather the RIGHT job on the head. The community I live in is small and to risk sending it out plus the
weight and shipping costs and have it returned not done correctly, I learned long ago, cut your losses and stop throwing
money in to the pit and walk away. The entire engine from pan to carb needed redone. Maybe I misled you all to
think it was just the head. Low compression didn't help here at a mile high elevation. Besides, almost 100K on it, it
didn't owe me any apologies. I knew going in it was weak but I went ahead and bought it anyway.
Yes it will end up with an LS or Pontiac 400 in it but then the rust needed to be address and some of it was structural.
It's ALL about the Benjamin's......................

C

clean8485

Royal Smart Person
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know that your ideal car would be a 4 speed '78 Grand Am. I know that you're looking at a 2 door Malibu now. I know that you'd like to find a car with minimal to no rust, and I know that you are not a spring chicken, and you have a limited budget.
I think that what some of us would like to see now, is some parameters for your search. Are there some '78-'88 A/G body cars that you DON'T want? Does the car you want have to be a 2 door car? (i.e. no 4 door Grand Ams, no wagons). Does the car you get have to be a running, driving, turn-key, drive it on the road right now type of car, or are you prepared to do some work on a good car to get it safe and road-ready? What is the upper limit on your budget? (keeping in mind that the money I'm asking about includes having the car ready for the road). Are you willing to travel for the right car? How far are you willing to travel?(100 miles, 200 miles, 1,000 miles?) Are you willing to have a car shipped, or do you want to make a road trip?
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here. I'm just trying to get some information out here, so that if there are people here who can help you, that they have an idea of what you're looking for, and what your goals are.

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Greasemonkey
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
I don't feel or think you are acting like a smart donkey at all. Your points are well taken. Let me see if I can enlighten without offending.
Yes my 1978-1980 2 door Grand Am with manual is the one on the bucket list. :banana::banana::banana:(y)(y)(y)
But I have pursued a 1984 Hurst Olds up to $10K. :)
I also have seen some nice 442s but I'd rather have the HURST before the 442.
The 1980 Malibu also fit my needs as far as looks and engine and that but price and rust was the no sale point.
There was a 1979 Lemans that was nicely built on here a few months ago white with tan interior I was pursuing but to no avail.
Not in to Monte Carlos. A GNX :cool::cool::cool::cool:would be nice but let's keep it real shall we?
Grand Prixs are nice. :cool:
Cutlass without T tops thank you. :cool:
Floor mounted shifter is a nice touch even if auto.

My needs are
2 door (one on each side)
Chev, Olds, Pontiac but not in that order. Not a Buick fan sad to say.
I would like a manual. All my current cars are autos and I need to give my left leg some exercise before it falls off.
Yes rust free..or as I say rust is a bust.
Decent paint job just something to cover the metal so to speak. It's a driver...not a trailer queen
Options:
the normal power steering and brakes and it needn't have A/C. Working controls and a decent dash not one that crumbles looking at it.
no major upgrades like cam and headers and all that. My drag racing days are over, I'd like a nice sounding exhaust.
Bench seat or bucket is okay. Preferably the buckets will be in the front..........:giggle:
A decent interior, with a headliner and seats that don't look slashers were mastering their skills inside.:lightsab:
A true working fuel gauge is nice to have.

I have torn down and reassembled a V8 engine before. so I can do that
I've installed a cam and the associated things with it.
I have taken out auto trannies and reinstalled but never disassembled one.
I have installed a new clutch and throw out bearing and 4 speed.
I have done some suspension upgrades to my other rides like boxed control arms sway bars etc.

I lack welding skills, and a welder.
I lack body panel skills and tools
I lack real fabricating skills and tools.

I'm a parts swapper, remove the bad and replace with better. I can tune up an engine using
vaccum gauge but I suck at carb rebuilds. ESPECIALLY HOLLEY! Sorry......

Well I hope this helps...........maybe it's too much info............
I don't expect a miracle. I just expect an honest car from an honest seller with an honest and fair
price. That's all. Not a bunch of hidden secrets that I'm expected to find after a 2 to 3 hour drive
to see the car and from 50 feet away I run back to my car holding my wallet. Run is a vague term when you are almost 70.

I've traveled, as in flown to Idaho, Georgia, California, Pennsylvania to buy cars and drive them home.
I've had cars trailered and made the mistake of buying sight unseen. Bad bad bad idea.........

I can if I have to spend 10K on a car, but that is my whole budget for a car. I like some breathing room
for those little surprises sellers fail to disclose before final sale. My ideal budget is $7500. That
keeps a happy wife, and a happy life.

There's an overview of who I am..............(y).take it or leave it..(n)...........almost like a car huh? :unsure::giggle::)

C

clean8485

Royal Smart Person
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks very much for posting the info. Judging from what you've outlined here, I think that patience is going to be your best friend. The factory built manual transmission '78-'81 A body cars are kind of few & far between, and cars that have been converted can be a crapshoot.
In terms of availability and your parameters, I think you'll probably have the most success finding a decent Cutlass (probably not a Hurst though). Just keep in mind though, that something that's clean and rust-free will probably need some interior work, because it will most likely be a southern car, that's been out in the sun alot.
I hope your search goes well. Let us know what you find.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot Mike's Montes P-S-T Southside Machine Performance UMI Performance

contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor

copyright ©2018 Ripp Technical Services, All Rights Reserved.