Need some G body experience help assessing the price of this car

Trader history for azmusclecar (0)

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Master Mechanic
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
Thanks very much for posting the info. Judging from what you've outlined here, I think that patience is going to be your best friend. The factory built manual transmission '78-'81 A body cars are kind of few & far between, and cars that have been converted can be a crapshoot.
In terms of availability and your parameters, I think you'll probably have the most success finding a decent Cutlass (probably not a Hurst though). Just keep in mind though, that something that's clean and rust-free will probably need some interior work, because it will most likely be a southern car, that's been out in the sun alot.
I hope your search goes well. Let us know what you find.
Thank you most kindly for your assessment and evaluation and advice. At least I've found a decent level of members here who are willing to help rather than criticise and step on people's dreams so to speak. Thank you again........and if it's to be, it will happen. I just got an email from a seller who never saw my questions until now and that was over two months ago. I figured the car was sold so just move on. Now, a small candle of hope is lit but it is a small candle mind you. We will see how it plays out. Funny how I wanted this vehicle so badly then and now...I'm having a moment of pause.....life sure is full of adventures...........when you least expect it..............expect it.

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Master Mechanic
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
T

TomDisab

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2016
you can do better for that price. that car is a high mileage beater. move on. the right thing will come along someday.

X

x75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2018
I just bought a rust free very original straight West Texas 86 Elco Conquista V8 with 88K miles for $3500, and almost everything works, even cruise control. No rust whatsoever due to desert sun, but plenty of interior plastic deterioration due to solar heating of the cab - it was parked outside for years. Paint is thin too with a reddish hue from the red primer showing through underneath the factory paint. Also Grandpa backed into another truck's rear bumper crushing the rear fender right over the gas cap, so it aint perfect but it hauls bales of hay just fine.

Attachments

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Master Mechanic
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
you can do better for that price. that car is a high mileage beater. move on. the right thing will come along someday.
Thanks for the encouraging words

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Master Mechanic
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
I just bought a rust free very original straight West Texas 86 Elco Conquista V8 with 88K miles for $3500, and almost everything works, even cruise control. No rust whatsoever due to desert sun, but plenty of interior plastic deterioration due to solar heating of the cab - it was parked outside for years. Paint is thin too with a reddish hue from the red primer showing through underneath the factory paint. Also Grandpa backed into another truck's rear bumper crushing the rear fender right over the gas cap, so it aint perfect but it hauls bales of hay just fine.
I had my share of "Elkys" in my many years.........I think I had more friends then even with only 2 bucket seats, seems the bed of the Elky makes people think, hey.......I can use that.................When I sold the Elky, my phone sort of stopped ringing. :):ROFLMAO: Nice score on your Elky...

81Lcamino

81Lcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2018
Lots of good input already, but I'll add another 0.02 If, as many have mentioned, the cars are getting hard to find, it follows that parts for them are getting harder to find as well. For example, that dash is wasted, as so many from sunny areas are. OPGI is now offering an aftermarket El Camino dash (vs. just a glue-on cap), but I think it is for 81-87, not the 78-80. The later dash will fit, but have some differences in style if that matters to you. In either case, aftermarket or original, you are looking at a fairly expensive purchase (unless you get lucky, which does happen). Also looks like that Malibu had some fairly serious body damage...the crease above the driver side rear wheel well is plainly visible even without enlargement. Especially for an asking price of 6k, I'd concur with others who have suggested patience. If you're willing to spend 6, you can find better. Good luck!

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

Master Mechanic
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
Lots of good input already, but I'll add another 0.02 If, as many have mentioned, the cars are getting hard to find, it follows that parts for them are getting harder to find as well. For example, that dash is wasted, as so many from sunny areas are. OPGI is now offering an aftermarket El Camino dash (vs. just a glue-on cap), but I think it is for 81-87, not the 78-80. The later dash will fit, but have some differences in style if that matters to you. In either case, aftermarket or original, you are looking at a fairly expensive purchase (unless you get lucky, which does happen). Also looks like that Malibu had some fairly serious body damage...the crease above the driver side rear wheel well is plainly visible even without enlargement. Especially for an asking price of 6k, I'd concur with others who have suggested patience. If you're willing to spend 6, you can find better. Good luck!
You bring very valid points to the table on this.(y)(y) I would've never known about the dash. Yes it seems in my years here in the AZ land of rust free :cool:cars, many of the nuggets have already been picked and the ones remaining have suffered the slings and arrows of unfortunate sun worship and now are basically plastic dust. I can see why it almost takes two to three cars to make one truly nice car as some on here have done.
At my ripe old age I'm always ready to listen to the voice of reason. That wasn't always the case but if we don't learn from our mistakes, we tend to repeat them. I've been putting lipstick on pigs and been okay doing so. Just like dating the prom queen or going steady with the hottest cheerleader, I was never that lucky in life. But I have been blessed in many many ways and I'm grateful for what I've had. Having sound advice, rather than opinions thrown at me is like life's GPS system telling you when it's time to recalculate and find a different path. This old dog can and will learn new tricks. The advice on G Bodies has helped me from becoming the victim of a snake oil salesman and buying his wares and finding out I've been had,:doh: the snake oil salesman is long gone with the money.
Thanks always for the .02 When presented resectfully, it always adds to the conversation. (y)

PS: If some of you youngin's don't uderstand my references, please see an old person and they can explain prom queen and cheerleader and snake oil. We have our generational verbage just like you. :banana: You may learn something before they take all their wisdom with them to the big car show in the sky.:D

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Master Mechanic
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I sure wish i was where all these cheap Malibus are. I can buy Cutlass/Regals all day , but Malibus are pretty few and far between.

Have you guys seen what people are asking for nice ones?

I'm not saying i think it's worth 6K, but it's not a $2500 car anywhere in today's market...if I'm wrong, please send me links to running driving one-color V8 Malibu coupes for $2500.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/367531047398221
I would buy this car for $2500 if I had a place to put it...

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot Mike's Montes P-S-T Southside Machine Performance UMI Performance

contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor

copyright ©2018 Ripp Technical Services, All Rights Reserved.