Need some help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I got the Monte on the road for the first time since the new 496 big block, full manual TH400 trans, and 8.5 rear end swap the other day and ran into an issue. When accelerating normal everything is fine but when I shift into 2nd it chirps the tires like normal but then it seems like it stops accelerating, almost slipping but no jerkiness. Engine rpm increases like it should but the car just revs and doesn't move. I only took it to about 2500 rpm because I still had the break in valve springs in. I drove it for about 1/4 mile like this before returning home to check things out. I checked the trans fluid and it showed way overfilled. I thought that was odd because it at most has 10-11 qts in it, odd for a deep pan TH400. I pulled it into the garage and I came out the next morning to find a massive puddle of ATF under the car. Sure enough its leaking from the dip stick hole.

Well today I drained some fluid out until it was around full, swapped in the valve springs and started it up. After letting it warm up I put it in gear. With it in 1st gear, foot on the break, I revved it up. It spun the tires for half a second then stopped, just continued to rev. I did this 2 more times before shutting it down. Checked fluid, its just barely over the full line.

So my question is does this sound like a slipping converter or an overfilled problem? Transmission goes into 2nd perfectly so I cant see why it would be the actual trans. I bought a used B&M 3000 stall converter a year ago at a swap meet. I know it was stupid but I was working part time and the price was great. I planned on buying a quality converter when I do the roller swap this coming winter and was just hoping that this one would get me by for one summer. Fluid still looks red/pink and there isnt any funny smells or noises. Any ideas? Help a fellow Gbodyman out lol!

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I would double check the cooler lines for any kinks or clogs and make sure the vent tube was clear also.
But I think its going to end up being that used converter.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I would double check the cooler lines for any kinks or clogs and make sure the vent tube was clear also.
But I think its going to end up being that used converter.
Cooler lines and cooler are brand new but I will definately check the lines for kinks. One thing I just thought about was the fact that it was apparently so overfilled but yet only had about 10 qts in it. If the converter was bad and not pumping fluid wouldn't the pan stay overfilled while the drums and clutch packs starved causing the slipping? Just spit balling here...if I have to get this transmission rebuilt again I swear im gonna shoot somebody.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Anymore ideas?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I just ordered a new Hughes 3000 rpm stall converter. Hopefully I will have it in this week. I will be sure to report back.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Time for a T56 speed swap! Looking back on it I wish I would have just done it with my olds instead of the 200-4r

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Time for a T56 speed swap! Looking back on it I wish I would have just done it with my olds instead of the 200-4r
Yea I wish! I just wanna drive this damn thing. Been in the garage for 10 months for the engine, trans, and rear swap and before that it was in storage for 7 months with a junk trans! Been too long thats for sure.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
You do fill it up slowly?

You cant just pour 11 quarts into a rebuilt/new transmission and empty converter.

Start with 6 and keep adding while you move it through the gears

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Obviously while transmission warms up!

Once i did a ls2/4l65e conversion. The transmission wasnt getting the corrects signals though. The transmission acted liked you describe. It turns out because of missing signals it engaged several clutch packs at once. A mile later the clutches were toast.

Try draining your oil and look/smell for clutch deposits while you change the converter.

With all this being said, i believe it is your converter though! If the transmission was shifting fine and dandy from 1st to 2nd until you broke it loose with the tires, the odds favor it is the converter..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor