CUTLASS Need some help with starting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2020
Hey guys first post here. Got an 86 Cutlass Supreme 307 that I'm having LOTS of issues with but my main issue now is it wont start. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I know some things, so I've changed the starter, cleaned all the connections, and got a new battery bc mine was down to 9v and wouldn't take a charge. When I turn the key to ON, the dash lights come on then when I turn it to crank the engine theres no cranking or sound from the starter and the dash lights turn off but back on once the key is back to ON. The night before this happened i was checking connections behind my radio bc it kept cutting in and out while driving but I didnt connect or disconnect anything. All fuses in the fuse box under the dash are good. If anyone knows other things it may be it'd be much appreciated.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Your battery post connection might have an issue.

Double check the ground. I assume it goes to the engine?

Next, follow the wiring into the firewall. Years of corrosion could be creating a power loss. The radio cutting out favours this.

Electrical gremlins-good times!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Isn't there a fusible link on the starting circuit? Also check all under hood grounds.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Clean the grounds.

There is one from your battery to the body of the car right by the battery.

There is one from the Engine to the Firewall a little off center towards the drivers side.

Clean them good, with sand paper, try again.

I had the Same Exact Issue, Radio and ALL, and it was Grounds.

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor