Need some recommendations on build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centex85

n00b
Oct 3, 2019
Hey y’all in the process of swapping motor out of an 85 cutlass. Grandpa had a 455 in it but there was no room at all to ever work on it. Picking up my 383 this weekend and need to get a transmission figured out. It’s going to be automatic and ditching the olds th350 for a Chevy one so I can have correct bell housing to match the Chevy block. Thinking of going with a manual valve body because it’s going to be a street car mainly but hoping to bring it to the track and have some fun when I want. Need some recommendations on a transmission for it. Was leaning towards th350 but hoping someone can help me out if there are better options I should be looking at. Not sure rebuilding current th350 will be an option because of the bell housing. Would like to try and keep it under 2k total. Also plan on putting ford 9” in the rear if that makes any difference.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
A t-350 would be fine for the amount of power you are most likely looking at. I would consider having it built with an automatic valve body and shift it manually at the track. My t-400 in the Chevelle works fine for around town driving, and then put it into first and plant it and it will hold till I shift it. Mine was built by FB transmissions in NY.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Th350 is a workhorse in full body street cars can’t go wrong in that department
The rear gearing depends on what your willing to live with or your primary purpose for your vehicle
Using it for work or school
Drag racing only
Fast street strip car
Excessive wear and tear on the motor
Fuel mileage
Daily driver go with 3.50gears

Reactions: 1 user

Centex85

n00b
Oct 3, 2019
Th350 is a workhorse in full body street cars can’t go wrong in that department
The rear gearing depends on what your willing to live with or your primary purpose for your vehicle
Using it for work or school
Drag racing only
Fast street strip car
Excessive wear and tear on the motor
Fuel mileage
Daily driver go with 3.50gears
It’s going to be a street strip car. Driving around town It’s a toy not a daily driver

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Then put 4.88 gears in it with 28” tall rubber your love it and even if you miss on the converter it will still work my 383 loves them 88s

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
My first recommendation is to ship that 455 to me :cool:

Hutch

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Hey y’all in the process of swapping motor out of an 85 cutlass. Grandpa had a 455 in it but there was no room at all to ever work on it. Picking up my 383 this weekend and need to get a transmission figured out. It’s going to be automatic and ditching the olds th350 for a Chevy one so I can have correct bell housing to match the Chevy block. Thinking of going with a manual valve body because it’s going to be a street car mainly but hoping to bring it to the track and have some fun when I want. Need some recommendations on a transmission for it. Was leaning towards th350 but hoping someone can help me out if there are better options I should be looking at. Not sure rebuilding current th350 will be an option because of the bell housing. Would like to try and keep it under 2k total. Also plan on putting ford 9” in the rear if that makes any difference.

I have a 455 in my cutlass and have a ton of room, but 383 is definitely cheaper to build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor