Need spring and shock recommendations for hauling a little extra weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I've got an '86 Monte Carlo that I daily drive to work. I haul my tools for work in the trunk. I'm gonna guess that it's between 300 & 400 pounds of tools. The springs and shocks are worn out. It has a set of air shocks in the back that came with the car. I have to keep the air shocks aired up to keep the back end from sagging. Now the air shocks are leaking and need replaced. I'd like to find a good set of springs and shocks that would hold the extra weight without sagging and still have a decent ride. I know the air shocks aren't really the best but they were already on the car so I worked with them.

Will the Moog cargo springs help? What kind of shock will help with hauling?

Any help is appreciated.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the only shock that adjusts ride height is an air shock.....if you want to run a cargo coil this one will raise the car a little. moog cc627...I think longroof (Jack) had them on his wagon.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I would go with the stiffer spring and then run airbags in the springs and adjust the air as required.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I forgot all about those overload shocks, I used them as well on one of my previous cars...

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Why not use Malibu,Lemans or other wagon springs and shocks - OEM + easy fitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor