CUTLASS Need suspension guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
Hello anyone that can steer me in the right direction...

What I have is an 86 Salon that I am in the finishing stages of an LS1 swap on. Suspension and wheel and tire upgrades are my next mountain to climb. My question is what is the best route to take for the suspension end. I am looking to run an 18x9.5 rear and 18x8 front replacing the 14s on the car now. My suspension is all stock at this point and my budget is $2500(ish).

I've looked at the BMR stage 2 kit, the Ridetech Streetgrip and some others as well but prices are all over. If I can do this in stages I am not opposed to spending more if need be but am looking to get the biggest bang for the buck at this point. The car is a street car with a little lower and will not be raced. Just looking for good handling and more of a "sport" feel. If anyone can help I would appreciate it tons!

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Buying everything in a "kit" can get expensive and some of the best bang for the buck improvements are the cheapest. There lots of variations but you'll pretty much need/want the following with any suspension build:

In Front you'll need:
springs:
shocks:
probably bushings:
Maybe Upper Control Arms:
Bump stop:
ball joints:
sway bar and Sway bar bushing:
steering improvements: fast ratio box, u-joint steering shaft:

If you want bigger brakes in front:
Spindles:
Brakes:

For the frame:
Jounce bars From a Cutlass:
GP bar:
adding the missing lower Frame mounts:

In Back:
springs:
sway bar:
shocks:
control arms:

People could fill in the blanks with their suggested components.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
If you're gonna spend your time and money go with a suspension that has something to offer.the bmr stuff looks nice but there's no alignment/geometry change to speak of.they're tubular versions of the stock parts.and there's nothing wrong with that if that's all you're looking for.if you upgrade to some parts that offer a better alignment capabilities,the car will drive and handle better.

Reactions: 1 user

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
Being honest, suspension is my weak point. i squeezed the LS1 in without issue but am honestly not sure where to start. I kind of figured the BMR stuff was too good to be true but had to look into it after seeing a write up on it by one of the car magazines. Ill keep researching and listen to any advice that comes my way Olds Cutlass.jpg

PartsFiend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2018
Ghettos of So Cal
In a budget aspect CPP upper n lowers could be had for like $800. With new moog springs from rock auto cut front for selected height, all inner outter tie rods from moog or desired brands. Also rock auto for best bang on buck. Used hallow sway bar from 3 gen f body along with a rebuilt gear box from ws6 or z28 third gen f body. Thats what ive been looking into. Keeping it budget friendly for myself. Hope it helps. If not speedtech suspension makes great trake proven stuff. We use speedtech at work n have seen it put 2 the test on the track at events and driven home.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Here is what I would do for a daily driver with an AL LS1 or V6:

In Front you'll need:
springs: Moog 5658 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
shocks: Bilsteins
probably bushings: PST polygraphite Lower Control Arm bushings (uppers, too if you re-use stock arms)
Maybe Upper Control Arms: G-body parts UB Machine Tubular will work fine with 17X8's, could have interference with smaller diameter 8" wheels and tall ball joints.
Bump stop: ZQ8 GM 15956547, Dorman 31064
ball joints: Proforged 1/2" taller Upper 101-10020 and Lower 101-10048
sway bar and Sway bar bushing: Hollow 3rd gen F-body - Junkyard (34-36mm doesn't matter)
steering improvements: fast ratio box, u-joint steering shaft: 12.7 Steering box, '93-95 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering shaft or modified Astro Van Shaft, New Inner/out tie rods if more than 60K miles.

Spindles: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer - Junkyard
Brakes: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer dual piston 11" - Junkyard

For the frame:
Jounce bars From a Cutlass: Junkyard, but yours should have this.
GP bar: Junkyard
adding the missing lower Frame mounts: Replace any Flat washers with 457915 Pink Lower Bushings

In Back:
springs: I would leave the stock and see how it handles
sway bar: A "pro touring" style rear sway bar
control arms: Stock, with new bushings if needed

Last edited:
  • Informative

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Here is what I would do for a daily driver with an AL LS1 or V6:

In Front you'll need:
springs: Moog 5658 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
probably bushings: PST polygraphite Lower Control Arm bushings (uppers, too if you re-use stock arms)
Maybe Upper Control Arms: G-body parts UB Machine Tubular will work fine with 17X8's, could have interference with smaller diameter 8" wheels and tall ball joints.
Bump stop: ZQ8 GM 15956547, Dorman 31064
ball joints: Proforged 1/2" taller Upper 101-10020 and Lower 101-10048
sway bar and Sway bar bushing: Hollow 3rd gen F-body - Junkyard (34-36mm doesn't matter)
steering improvements: fast ratio box, u-joint steering shaft: 12.7 Steering box, '93-95 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering shaft or modified Astro Van Shaft, New Inner/out tie rods if more than 60K miles.

Spindles: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer - Junkyard
Brakes: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer dual piston 11" - Junkyard

For the frame:
Jounce bars From a Cutlass: Junkyard, but yours should have this.
GP bar: Junkyard
adding the missing lower Frame mounts: Replace any Flat washers with 457915 Pink Lower Bushings

In Back:
springs: I would leave the stock and see how it handles
sway bar: A "pro touring" style rear sway bar
control arms: Stock, with new bushings if needed

Some good input here ^^^^

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor