Need tips for hood shocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappnutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2018
Hey gang, I have an 80 Malibu with a fibreglass cowl hood. Stock steel hood springs are way to strong. Need to install hydraulic shocks, anybody done this? I spoke to a guy with a cutlass that had done it. Looking for pics, and some direction, help lol

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Companies that make fiberglass hoods have lower tension springs for that purpose. And they don’t wear out like shocks do.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Hey gang, I have an 80 Malibu with a fibreglass cowl hood. Stock steel hood springs are way to strong. Need to install hydraulic shocks, anybody done this? I spoke to a guy with a cutlass that had done it. Looking for pics, and some direction, help lol
I have a custom set of Regal hinges with custom spec'd stainless hood struts for the glass hood on my Cutlass. No joke, they were a PITA to get right...basically took a regal two piece hinge and made it one piece, used the lower front hinge bolt as also the lower strut mount.
20190830_152040.jpg
20190830_152116.jpg
20190830_152146.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

slappnutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2018
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's awesome, Scott. I have been kicking the idea around for the aluminum hood on the Cutlass. That thing is super light, maybe even lighter than 'glass!

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That's awesome, Scott. I have been kicking the idea around for the aluminum hood on the Cutlass. That thing is super light, maybe even lighter than 'glass!
I can't take full credit for the hinge design Bruce. I researched and researched, and researched for a long time. I knew somebody had done it, us G guys don't get the same love as the Camaro/Chevelle(ahem A body), etc with the billet hinges!
Sure enough, I found a guy that had done the same setup on a Malibu. He didn't weld the upper strut mount to the hinge like I did though. I think it looks more stock as 1 piece. I believe the struts are for the trunk of a Chrysler Sebring convertible if I recall. They have a force rating of 120lb, and when opening the hood they'll "catch", make that queef sound struts make and just take the hood right on up!
I went a step beyond and sourced the stainless struts that were built to my specs. They weren't cheap, but look the part.
20190830_145749.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor