Need to flush my coolant system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
How do I flush my whole coolant system?

I know that there are drain plugs on the side of the engine to drain the water out of the engine block and there are plugs on the radiator and I can remove all the hoses, but how should I flush it out?

With a garden hose ?
IMG_20220829_134320186_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20220830-140501-760.png

Last edited:

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
They make kits especially for that. 33567-1.png

Reactions: 1 users

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
When I do a flush, I'll get the most out on round 1, fill it with water only and drive a while.
Flush again, round 2.
According to my satisfaction, do a round 3.
Fill with 50/50 mix and go.
Do it before freezing weather and you'll be golden.

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you don't use the block drains then you leave about a gallon of water in the block. I flush until it comes out clean, then dump a gallon of distilled water in so that what is left inside is mostly distilled. Then I start with an un-diluted gallon of the green anti-freeze. That way you have a 50/50 mix in there. Top off with more 50/50 mix and you are good to go.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
If you don't use the block drains then you leave about a gallon of water in the block. I flush until it comes out clean, then dump a gallon of distilled water in so that what is left inside is mostly distilled. Then I start with an un-diluted gallon of the green anti-freeze. That way you have a 50/50 mix in there. Top off with more 50/50 mix and you are good to go.
I don't know if I should leave any of this brown water in it, but your method is the cheapest route for my current budget...
Screenshot_20220830-140501-760.png

I'll drain out the block and flush the system until it's clear, refill it with distilled water, use a gallon of undiluted green antifreeze, and then top it with another green 50/50 mix.
👍🏾😎...

Or just flush until it's all out and clear, then add 3 gallons of 50/50 green antifreeze.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
If you don't use the block drains then you leave about a gallon of water in the block.
How easy is it to access the coolant rain plugs on both sides of the engine block ? No need to remove move motor mounts and lifting the engine or anything like that right ?

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have not had one that bad but my method has always been dead simple and the coolant looks clean when done.
1. Disconnect the lower radiator hose and let everything drain.
2. Flush the radiator out with a garden hose. Gets all the junk I can out of it first.
3. Hook the lower hose back up, fill the system with water and run it till it is up to temp.
4. Disconnect the lower hose, drain, re-connect, fill with water, run and repeat till the water coming out is acceptably clean.
5. Fill with alternating gallons of water and antifreeze.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor